Do I have a bad switch - or maybe the wrong one?

Old 11-17-19, 03:16 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do I have a bad switch - or maybe the wrong one?

Hi - In one of my bathrooms, I have a Nutone exhaust fan (about 10 years old) that was hooked up to a rotary timer on the wall. Awhile back, it just stopped working. I couldn’t find a new timer locally so I just installed a regular on/off switch.

There is power to the switch but the fan still doesn’t turn on. Today, while using a neon/two wire tester, I discovered that when I flip the switch on, the light on the tester goes out. Is that normal?

Old 11-17-19, 03:29 PM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
It is normal if you are measuring across the switch terminals to get no volts when the switch is on.
Maybe the fan is bad. It might be stuck. If you try to spin is manually, does it spin?

Old 11-17-19, 03:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it spins. Would one of these fans just abruptly stop working with no warning?

EDIT: I have determined the switch is functioning properly. Do you know how I would test yo see if there is power to the fan? I have a voltmeter besides the two wire neon tester.

Old 11-17-19, 08:44 PM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
Many of those fans plug into a socket in the fan housing. You could plug a lamp or work light into that socket and test it.
Or you could remove the fan and plug it into a receptacle. The fan usually removes easily with a few screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: