Whole house fan wiring to switch

Old 11-18-19, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house fan wiring to switch

I recently installed a whole house fan (Master Flow # WHFS24M) as well as a thermostat to control it (Master Flow #PT6). I also wired it to a switch to be able to cut power to it as well. The switch is a dual rocker 3-way switch. I've broken off the terminal fin to effectively make it 2 switches. The bottom rocker does cut power to the fan (as expected). However, the upper rocker switch I had envisioned as working like a 3-way switch (1 position to have the thermostat control the fan, the other position to work as a "manual" on), but in either position, the fan continues to run. I've set the thermostat to 60 (attic temp is 80+) so it should shut off when in that mode. I've attached a drawing of my wiring installation for reference, as well as a diagram I based my wiring from. There are 2 black wires coming from the thermostat, and tech support said it doesn't matter which they connect to (black or white).

Name:  Attic fan wiring.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  85.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-18-19 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added labeling
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-19, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I added a black dot to your three way switch to signify the dark/black screw.
Your wiring looks correct. Try opening the fan thermostat line and see if the fan shuts off then.
Possibly the thermostat is stuck on.

Old 11-18-19, 02:43 PM
Thanks Pete! The image above isn't my wiring, and looks like the .pdf of my actual wiring I attached is no longer there.

The dot you placed is not where the black screw in on my switch. The black screw is on the other side of the switch.

Can you expand a little on what you mean by "opening the fan thermostat line"? I'm not an electrician by trade, just a weekend warrior with a little electrical experience.

Old 11-18-19, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
I removed the PDF file as they are large and use up a lot of your allocated storage space. I thought it was the same as your picture. Repost it and I'll resize it and post it back.

In the above diagram..... take the black wire from the thermostat out of the red/black wire splice.

Old 11-18-19, 02:55 PM
Here is the image with my actual wiring.

Name:  attic fan.JPG
Views: 21
Size:  59.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-18-19 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 11-18-19, 02:58 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Turn the thermostat UP. It is trying to run the temp down to 60 before it shuts off.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 11-18-19, 04:08 PM
Thanks joed! I was thinking backwards on the thermostat temp. I'll try that when I get home tonight!