Miswired dimmer: need troubleshooting

Old 11-22-19, 07:17 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Miswired dimmer: need troubleshooting

I installed a Lutron DVCL-153P dimmer in my dining room. See correct wiring diagram from Luton site.

Because the paper instructions weren't in color and I didn't think to check the website, I switched the two middle connections as shown in the diagram. That is, I had attached the red/white striped wire to the black wire coming from the box, and had connected both solid red wires together.

The chandelier has five 43W conventional bulbs. When I tested the dimmer, the chandelier worked fine. But when I flipped the standard wall switch on the other side of the room, the chandelier illuminated momentarily, then POOF! I thought I'd blown the bulbs, but no—all operate normally in a standalone table lamp. And no breaker switched off at the panel.

So... I corrected the dimmer wiring, but still the chandelier won't function. How do I correct this problem? Did I blow the dimmer and simply need to replace it?

Old 11-22-19, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,996 Upvotes on 3,586 Posts
The important thing is did you connect the tagged wire..... the wire that was connected to the dark color screw on the switch....... to the black wire of the dimmer ?

The other two don't make a difference.

Old 11-22-19, 08:17 AM
J
Yes, I carefully tagged that wire when I removed the original flip switch.

That said, I believe the home builder may have done his own wiring, and it's apparent in other areas that whoever did the wiring didn't follow code. For example, there was no mounting cup in the wall when I went to replace above-sink fixtures in two bathrooms; instead he took a tool and pounded an irregular-shaped opening to pull the electrical through. That causes one to wonder, right?

So... in my mind I'm wondering if he may have had the tagged wire incorrectly connected to the original flip switch. Would the original chandelier have functioned correctly had he done so?

Old 11-22-19, 08:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,996 Upvotes on 3,586 Posts
If both the three way switches were working properly..... and if the wire you tagged was the one on the dark screw..... then you've wired the dimmer correctly.

It sounds like the dimmer was blown...... but why.
Perhaps a wire was pinched during the installation.

Unfortunately..... I've found that many dimmers that claim to work with an existing three way switch.... don't. I use the dimmer and it's slave companion and have zero problems.

Old 11-22-19, 09:32 AM
J
When I initially installed the dimmer, I only tested it. All was well. I did not try using the flip switch across the room.

Only a month or so later did I try to turn on the chandelier using the conventional flip switch. That's when I heard an audible POOF (whatever) and the lights immediately went out on the chandelier.

But again, no breaker was tripped and the five conventional 43W light bulbs all continue to function when individually tested in a standalone lamp.

So the only difference is that, after initial installation, I failed to test the conventional flip switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: