Finding the right circuit breaker

Old 11-24-19, 04:07 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Finding the right circuit breaker

Hello, my bathroom light went out, None of the breaker got tripped. Now I can't find the right circuit breaker. How do you find the right breaker?
Thanks, ChengC1
Old 11-24-19, 04:36 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 71,051
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,867 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The number one priority for a homeowner....... identify what circuit every receptacle, appliance and light is on...... right now. Not when there is a problem.

I get calls weekly where as an electrician I have to identify what is on a circuit..... not only is this a time waster for me..... it costs the customer.

If you don't know what circuit the device is on..... you'll need to guess. If the breaker is not tripped..... there is a defective connection in the circuit. It could be a bad splice in a box or a loose connection on a device like a receptacle or switch.

Are you sure you don't have a tripped GFI receptacle in ANY of the bathrooms ?
Check to make sure everything else is still working.
The following 2 users liked this post by PJmax:
Old 11-24-19, 04:48 PM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,120
Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
First off, because I agree in its' importance, I'm going to reiterate what PJMax said and tell you to identify breakers. It's going to take a bit of time, and is easier with a family member or friend on one end or the other, but, in my opinion, it's an essential task for any homeowner. Also, except for the 240 breakers you may have for the range, air conditioning, dryer, etc., and since you don't know which one it is, I would switch off then back on each of the 120 volt breakers to see if that solves the mystery because sometimes breakers may not necessarily appear tripped when in fact they are.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-24-19, 04:56 PM
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,832
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you change the light bulb
as a quick and dirty test you could hold up a wire detector to the switch or light socket and have a friend turn on and off breakers but these detectors can give false readings if wires cross.
Old 12-09-19, 10:02 AM
biketrax's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 407
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure you don't have a tripped GFI receptacle in ANY of the bathrooms ?
Check to make sure everything else is still working.
All prior information is spot on!! PJ's last mention is usually overlooked or forgotten!!
Old 12-10-19, 05:34 AM
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ct.,USA
Posts: 2,770
Received 208 Likes on 184 Posts
I have used the following method (done by single person) to identify 120 vac breaker with its loads. Get an extension cord, or cords, that reach from the breaker panel to the furthest room of the house. Plug the extension cord into a room outlet. Plug a incandescent lamp into the extension cord at the breaker end. Open breakers one at a time until lamp goes off. This is the breaker for the outlet. While most outlets in a room are wired to the same breaker, each outlet's breaker can be checked by the above method. If the lights in the room aren't powered by the breaker powering the outlet, a light bulb socket adapter can replace a bulb and the extension cord connected to the adapter and proceed as above. Do this in every room, hallway, etc. in the house. This should allow identifying 90 % of loads with their breaker. The remaining 10% will take will take some legwork. Good luck.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: