21.7 volts transformer question

Old 11-28-19, 09:54 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
21.7 volts transformer question

I registered for this forum today to ask a specific question. I hope someone will be kind enough to answer it. We have a coat closet near main entrance that currently has no light inside. On the side of the closet there is a transformer see attached photo.
When I measured voltage I got 21.7 v see another picture below. My question is what 21.7 volts power source is used for? Is it for alarm system? Am I safe to say that wire feeding the transformer is standard 110 volts? If I would want to use this wire feed to power light fixture should I remove the transformer and connect incoming 110 volts wire to light fixture? I will be thankful for your input.

Attached Images   
Old 11-28-19, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That is more than likely a transformer for a doorbell or chime. You could disconnect it to confirm the chime stops working. There is 120v inside that box.

There are knockouts in that original box if you wanted to fish down the wall.
One way to connect to that box is to use a box extension. You could bring the wire into the extension.

If the transformer sticks out too far from the wall..... you could move the transformer to the side of the extension box and then use a blank plate.

Single gang box extension

Old 11-28-19, 10:01 AM
T
Thank you for quick reply. you were right. When I disconnected wire from transformer my door chime stopped working. Do you think it would be safe to run a wire from the 120v box feeding transformer to a new light fixture to power led bulb?

Last edited by Tomasz; 11-28-19 at 10:09 AM. Reason: correct response
Old 11-28-19, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
Are you saying you have two transformers that were wall mounted ?
If yes..... doubtful they would both be for the doorbell.

Old 11-28-19, 10:25 AM
T
No there is only one transformer; I edited my original response. You pretty much answered my question in your response. I will connect to the box to power light fixture . I will have to install a on/off switch for the light fixture. Thanks a bunch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: