Smart LED light strip recommendations?

Old 12-13-19, 01:38 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smart LED light strip recommendations?

So I have some lowered crown molding in my home theater that I planned on adding some LED lighting to for some nice theater lighting. There are a lot of options out there for LED light strips. But to get the 90 feet that I would need, either requires going with a 120v rope light, or stringing multiple LED light strips in parallel hooked up to a higher wattage dimmable driver or something like that. The dimmable driver I would plan on using is this one:

HitWatts 150 Watt Dimmable LED driver

And the type of switch you would have to use with that is something like this:

Lutron MAELV-600-WH

So I can't just get any smart switch to control it with.

And then in addition to the physical dimmer switch on the wall, I want to be able to turn them on and off using Alexa, so that we can turn them on without getting off he couch after a movie and stumbling around in the dark for the switch.

So I was already to go down this road, getting the dimmable drivers, the lights, and the switch and everything, then I realized, it's getting upwards of over $300 for all this, and I still don't know how to make it smart yet. I'm sure I could figure it out, but then I thought there's got to be a ready made solution for this.

I know that 100' worth of a Philips Hue type solution would be super expensive. But is there some product out there with smart capabilities for around the $300 mark? I know that most of the dimmable led light strips come with their own dimmer switch, but I'd be stringing 5 or 6 of them together, which is why I'd need the larger drivers, and I want a standard wall switch, not those dumb dimmer dials on the cord. I want a clean solution. Should I just go down my original path?

If I went with my original solution, they do make these in-line wifi switches, that I could place in line in between my driver and the led lights. Then whenever the physical wall switch was on, I could use the in-line wifi switch to control it with voice command. But that would mean my dimmable driver would always be on, and I imagine that would shorten the life of it considerably.

Any thoughts?

Here is a diagram of my original plan, and this would work, for about $300, albeit without smart capabilities yet:

Edit: Honestly I don't need the dimming capabilities, it will probably look good as is, I am more concerned about having the smart capabilities than dimming.

Old 12-14-19, 05:58 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Hi, your original plan would work, your driver will only be on when your smart switch is on, smart switch will be the first thing in the circuit ahead of the dimmer.
Geo

Old 12-16-19, 03:24 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Well in my plan I don't have a smart switch. Reason being is I can't really find a smart switch that is compatable with the magnetic dimmer driver.

However, after looking around a bit more, I found some led light strips that have smart capabilities built in. They are 32 ft. strands, so really, I'm thinking this whole thing will be a lot easier, and a lot cheaper, if I just run three of those sets.

I'll plug them all into their own power outlet, and just run an rbg extender cable in my crown molding to each next set. When I put in the crown molding, I ran romex to the top of the ceiling in kind of a hidden spot, right near where the crown molding starts, just in case I ended up doing it this way.

it will still be connected to a switch (unless I wanted to just hardwire the romex in the lightswitch box, which I may just do) but will be controlled via the switches it comes with and via Alexa or the app.

The reason this will work for me is partially because I gave up on having the lights dimmable via the wall switch, plus these lights are dimmable via the app or voice command, so I can still dim them if needed. Only other drawback is that they don't include true warm white led's which I really wanted. However in the pictures it looks like you can simulate warm white not too bad with the rbgs. I'm still looking, there may be another led strip like these that have warm white led's. But haven't seen any that have smart capabilities out of the box like these.

For anyone interested, these are the ones I am looking at going with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: