Question about wiring smart light switch

Old 12-16-19, 05:16 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about wiring smart light switch

I want to replace a light switch in my garage to a wifi smart switch that connects to an outlet, which is outside on the side of my house. That switch and outlet is connected to a GFCI outlet. So I think the wiring is outside outlet -> switch -> GFCI -> panel. Attached a picture. The smart switch requires a neutral wire, as always. Usually there's one in the back that I can just connect into, but this box doesn't have one. Can I just connect the smart switch neutral to the GFCI's load side neutral (by just connecting to the screw on the GFCI for example)? Or is there some other way I should be wiring up the switch so that it's protected by the GFCI but also can be connected? Thanks in advance for any help.

Name:  gfi.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  86.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-16-19 at 05:47 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 12-16-19, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In your picture..... it looks like the light is connected to the load side of the GFI receptacle. Those screw terminals allow for two wires to be connected. You can connect the white of the smart switch to the extra spot on the white LOAD terminal.

Old 12-16-19, 07:28 PM
Z
Thanks for the reply! So the top screw there in the picture is the load side. So I should be able to just connect the neutral from the smart switch directly onto the top switch screw correct (since the outlet wire is using the push in)? Or is it better to just disconnect the existing wire and pigtail them together with a wire nut and a new wire to the gfci?

Old 12-16-19, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
Those aren't push ins. Those wires are held captive by the screw. You can loosen the screw and add your wire to the extra hole. You could also pigtail if you wanted.

Old 12-16-19, 08:47 PM
Z
Great! Thanks again for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: