Help with Hampton Bay old model ceiling fan and light fixture

Old 12-21-19, 05:37 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with Hampton Bay old model ceiling fan and light fixture

Hi, all

Fan is working and light stopped working as of yesterday. I believe this model is over 11 years old as we bought back then and the house had these fans in two rooms. I'm considering buying a new one, but just was curious if you can help to identify the problem. I watched several youtube videos (mostly Hunters fans) and seems like if light stopped working most likely a limiter needs to be replaced. Side note: all other electrical in this room is working, checked bulbs and they are good. Also, bulbs were going out fast in this light fixture for a year or two (by fast I mean like every 6 month was replacing a bulb). Anyhow.. attaching a picture. Like I said I don't see a limiter, so I'm not sure what parts needs to checked/replaced.
Spoke with Hampton Bay(i.e. Home Depot) rep and it looks like this model is so old they don't have instructions or diagrams for it. It actually in very good (like new condition :-) and I feel bad to throw it away.

Need your help to identify part that needs

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  13.7 KB

Name:  f4.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  17.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-21-19 at 07:11 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-19, 06:48 PM
S
31 views so far and no help ? :-)

If I didn't explain clearly what I'm looking for in the post above, let me rephrase.

1. If you had to troubleshoot why this lighting fixture stopped working, what would be your troubleshooting steps?
2. Would you just buy a new ceiling fan and won't waste time trying to see how to fix the old one?

Thanks!

Old 12-21-19, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The first thing you try is to check the white and blue wires for 120vAC.
If that is a model that has a wireless remote control...... the dimmer in the receiver can be bad.
If you've put LED bulbs in that fan.... the dimmer is definitely bad.

Trying to figure out what that thing is in the last picture. Looks like a pull chain switch.

samal voted this post useful.
Old 12-21-19, 06:58 PM
S
already checked. gettin 36.2 on white and blue. no remote control for this fan. fan and light are operated via 2 on/off switches on the wall.

p.s. it made me think that tomorrow I might need to check if the wall switch on the wall didn't burn out by the chance.

Old 12-21-19, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
If you aren't getting 120v there..... the problem could be in the connections in the canopy or what ever is sending power to the lights. Possibly the wall switch.

The limiter would be in the splice area if there was one. (There isn't in your case)
You need to use fan duty bulbs. They come in 40 and 60 watt sizes. They have reinforced filaments.

Old 12-21-19, 07:16 PM
S
Thank you, PJmax! Yeah, that's why I posted pics to confirm whether or not there is a limitor thermal switch there or not, as it seems to me there is none.
I do use the right bulbs there.. This is my son's room and he doesn't turn fan at all.

Old 12-21-19, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Without having an electrical dimmer inline...... you can use LED bulbs in that fixture.

Old 12-22-19, 08:54 AM
S
Actually, I was wrong about blue and white wires at 36.2. Rechecked it is 0.00 voltage.

Old 12-22-19, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Same difference. I assumed you were using a digital meter which can read random ghost voltages.

Old 12-22-19, 10:14 AM
S
Problem solved. As I suspected the wall switch was a culprit! This freaking thing doesn't have any signs of burns, neutral and hot completely inserted, looks completely normal, albeit it is probably over 12 years old. The digital meter I use is a $10 DT830 made in China. I guess Flukes are also made there.. So 36 yesterday was most likely me touching contacts for a second and DT830 not completing all initialization process.

Bottom line: For anyone else who has an old Hampton Bay ceiling fan with light fixture - don't look for the limitor thermal switch. Most likely, there is none there. And check your wall switches!

I'm glad I didn't buy a new ceiling fan, wasting time assembling and discovering later no lights work on it either.

Attaching pics for entertainment purposes only :-)

Name:  sw1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  13.5 KB

Name:  sw2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  sw3.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  38.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-22-19 at 10:24 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 12-22-19, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you mad out.