Bypass Hunter Fan Receiver

Old 12-30-19, 10:12 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bypass Hunter Fan Receiver

Hello! LTL,FTP

Recently purchased a Hunter Hepburn Ceiling Fan (Installation Manual for Model 50275). This model utilizes a wall switch-based remote that transmits to a receiver in the fan canopy. The provided switch has one Hot line (in from box and out to the fan). However, I'm replacing an existing fan that has been wired for independent light and fan operation. I'd like to utilize the existing switch (avoid more work!), and also avoid possible remote interference and battery changes. Can I utilize the existing switch I have in the wall (rocker for light, off/3-speed slider) and wire directly to the fan (bypassing the receiver)?

I've attached some images that I hope will be helpful.

If the bypass isn't an option, I'm assuming I'll just wire cap the extraneous red line at wall and ceiling and call it a day?

Thank you for any info/advice!

Adam

Attached Images    
Old 12-30-19, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,417 Upvotes on 3,064 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In order to use your old switches instead of the new smart switch..... you will need to disconnect the receiver inside the Hunter. Then the red and black get connected directly to the fan. Red is usually the light and goes to blue. Black is usually fan and goes to black. White connects to white.

Old 12-30-19, 10:35 AM
A
Thank you for the reply, Pete. I've read in some other threads that capacitor receivers might make things more complicated. This fan has a capacitor receiver. Should I be concerned?

Adam

Old 12-30-19, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
That could be a problem. You cannot connect 120v to the receiver outputs as that will blow out the receiver. You could try your fan speed wall switch to see if it varied the fan.

Old 12-30-19, 10:49 AM
A
The current wall switch is a Lutron Skylark (added a pic). I haven't installed anything yet, so I'm planning to bypass the receiver altogether. Am I in danger of damaging the fan motor and/or light?

Attached Images  
Old 12-30-19, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
You definitely won't hurt the light. It's the fan that needs to be tested.

Old 12-30-19, 12:21 PM
A
Ok, I'm going to give it a shot. If after hookup, the wall switch varies fan speed as expected (low, mid, high), then I'm probably in good shape and not likely to break the fan motor?

Old 12-30-19, 04:03 PM
A
Success. Red to Blue, Black to Black. Confirmed with Hunter, as well. Turns out, for this model at least, the first step to troubleshoot weak/no remote connectivity is to wire direct. So, there was no danger to the motor. However, would recommend Hunter include that info in the Manual!

Thanks for the advice, Pete.

- Adam

Old 12-31-19, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: