2 Outdoor Fixtures on One Switch; One Does Not Work

Old 01-03-20, 07:59 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Outdoor Fixtures on One Switch; One Does Not Work

Hello,

First I want to graciously thank everyone for any and all help it's truly appreciated! So I have two identical light (aesthetically anyway) on the patio. When I flip the switch one turns on and one doesn't, and from what I can tell there is only one switch that controls the lights. It's been like this since we moved in so I can't say they are both hooked to the same switch. I figured the socket may just be old so I replaced it and the broken one still does not turn on. I used a new socket and a socket from elsewhere in the house that I know works. I also made sure the light bulb works.

I've replaced a few light fixtures throughout the house but this one is different from the rest. The switch is in the sunroom which was an addition so maybe they purposefully left this light out or something?

The light that does not work has two sets of black and white wires. There's two lines running into the box, with one white and one black connecting the two lines together and then the opposite from each line going to the fixture. I replaced the socket exactly as it was already installed, but like I said I can never say the socket worked. I looked at the switch, but there are 4 switches in one box so it's a tight congested mess.

Name:  sw1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  27.7 KB

Name:  sw2.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  117.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-03-20 at 10:00 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 01-03-20, 12:58 PM
A
Received 119 Upvotes on 103 Posts
have you checked for voltage at the fixture or specifically the black and white tied together would expect it to have power going to the switch loop.
may need to see both fixture boxes to see what is going on more pictures of each fixture and labeling witch one works and doesn't work would help better picture of the wiring in the switch box would help also.

Old 01-03-20, 01:12 PM
M
Received 296 Upvotes on 266 Posts
You show 4 switches.
Do you know what each of them does?

Without you actually measuring the voltages this is just a guessing game.

Old 01-06-20, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes the 4 switches control various light fixtures in the region of the house. The furthest to the left in the photo is the one that controls the 'broken' fixture. It has 3 black wires to it. The other two switches have one black and one white.

Here is an extremely crude drawing of how the switch to fixture is setup (I assume). The light closest to the switch works and only has two wires. The light further away does not work and has two wires and two sets of each line. I would go into the attic and trace the wires but it's in a tight spot. I haven't tested, but I assume that would be the easiest method of finding what's wrong.

Thanks for the responses!

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-20, 11:54 PM
A
Received 119 Upvotes on 103 Posts
would probably see about tracing the wires in the attic would also check voltage obviously who ever wired it did not bother marking any of the white wires indicating they was being used as a hot wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: