Troubleshooting a Half-Hot Receptacle

Old 01-05-20, 10:58 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Troubleshooting a Half-Hot Receptacle

Hello,

I had a half-hot outlet in my guest bedroom. I installed a new receptacle to be always-on, and capped the old wires running to the switch. I thought I was victorious in my DIY electrical work, until I realized that some lighting in the next room over had no power.

I wanted to show this forum the following diagram. After a closer look at the wiring, I am a little surprised at the wiring. Am I one step away from fixing this myself, or should I be calling an electrician?

Name:  half-hot receptacle replacement.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  96.6 KB

Old 01-05-20, 11:13 AM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Where is the wall switch in your drawing? The wall switch lines should be in the same cable. It looks like you capped one wire from each cable.

Old 01-05-20, 11:29 AM
S
Hi Joe. I am thinking Line 2 goes to the switch and Line 3 goes to the lighting in the next room. That is just a guess though.
- The capped wires (one from each line, yes) were wired to the old receptacle & the switch worked to turn the top plug on/off.
-The white line going into Line 3 should be hot after leaving the red wire nut.

Iím not sure how to proceed. Maybe just get up in the attic and see if I can tell how the other lighting is wired?

Old 01-05-20, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
You're showing a diagram of what..... the inside of a single box ?
We can help you when we know exactly what you have.

If that is all three cables in the switch box..... then you need to connect all three blacks and all three whites.

Old 01-05-20, 12:35 PM
S
This is the inside of the receptacle box.

Last edited by stevenhasara; 01-05-20 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-05-20, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
Ok...... then you have one cable is live in/hot. One cable is line out/load. the third cable is the switch loop.
If you can identify the switch loop....... just don't use it. The other two cables get connected..... white to white and black to black. You can put all four wires on the receptacle or splice them together and add tails to go to the receptacle.

Old 01-05-20, 01:16 PM
S
I'm guessing that Line 2 is the switch line then, and Line 3 is the power out (per my diagram). Why is the white wire of Line 3 connected to the black/hot line in though? Is that something I should look into further?

Old 01-05-20, 01:29 PM
J
If line 3 is power out this is what you need.

OOPS forgot to cap the black wire to line2.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  14.1 KB

Old 01-05-20, 02:06 PM
S
That makes good sense, Joe. I think I at least know how it *should* be wired now.

The only thing still tripping me up is that Line 3's white line was wired hot (comes out of the red wire nut) before disappearing into the wall. If that is the line out, carrying power to the next room's lighting, then maybe the previous homeowner or original builder just flipped the color convention on that particular run?

I made a diagram of the original wiring, before i messed with it. Everything worked with it wired like this.

Name:  original_wiring.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  66.1 KB

Old 01-05-20, 03:58 PM
J
That diagram tells me line 3 is the switch. I should have seen that before when the white was connected to the blacks.
Cap line 3 and use the receptacle for the remaining two black and white connections. You don't need the wire nut.

Old 01-06-20, 03:45 AM
S
Now that clicks with me, too. Scary to think I thought I understood if before

Line 3 is the switch loop, so that when it is closed, power is transmitted to the top plug. That checks out!

Thank you for all the help, Joe!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: