Need help

Old 01-16-20, 10:08 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help

Howís everyone doing I need a se count opinion on this job I got customer wants to wire a room separate to his house thatís about 100-200 ft away from his house he wants 8 plus 3 switches and 3 lights and wants to install an a/c unit in there also Iíve talked to him and told him the best way to go is to instal a 100amp sub panel and run #6 wire with it, he keeps telling me there a better way to do it withought needing a sub panel but to my understanding that would be the best option
or can someone else give me another opinion thanks
Old 01-17-20, 12:16 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,076
Received 3,977 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's considered a separate building from the house. You can call it a room or a shed or a garage. The code allows one circuit of power connected to it. That means you will need a sub panel in there along with a ground rod. You could set a 60A sub panel on those #6's. You may get some light flickering when the A/C cycles as that's a fairly long run. A 240v AC would perform better. Don't forget you'll need four wires as that is a sub panel.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: