How to install crystal chandelier over 2-story entrance way

Old 02-04-20, 07:56 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to install crystal chandelier over 2-story entrance way

Hi all. I am new to this thread. I am going to add a spiral staircase chandelier to the 2-story ceiling. The ceiling height is around 20ft. I did some researches before and have different plans, such as using the chandelier light lift, ladder or hiring the electricians.

The chandeliers I am going to buy:

1) https://www.amazon.com/7PM-Contempor...dp/B01LENDS5U/

or

2) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Worldwid...4C30/203881657

Since the chandelier will be located between the spiral stair, I don't think I can install it by myself. Any ideas? How much does it cost to hire the contractors to get the job done? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-04-20, 08:03 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Considering the cost of the lights, why would you even consider doing it yourself. Don't mean to be patronizing but if you can afford this light, you can afford to have it professionally installed.

Old 02-04-20, 08:08 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, it sounds reasonable. The chandelier itself can cost $1000, but I am worry about that the installation cost is $500 if I hire the professionals. Thanks for your quick reply anyways.

Old 02-04-20, 08:18 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Another thing you want to consider is replacement of burned out light bulbs.
I can't speak from experience, but I think lights of this sort may be able to have a manual or motorized system to bring it down for cleaning and bulb replacement. Much like a theater stage might have to change sets. You may to consider it. Yes the cost will be high, but I think it may pay for itself over the long run. Also keep in mind that if you have it done professionally, and possible mishap or damage will be covered by those putting it up. Cheap insurance!

When I remodeled my bathroom several years ago I planned to install my own granite counter top. Cost was not a factor. The stone mason told me to spend the $50 for install by them. If anything happens, to walls, sink, floor, or counter top breakage will be covered by them. Plus that thing was extremely heavy. It was the best investment of the whole remodel job.

Old 02-04-20, 10:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,107 Upvotes on 1,886 Posts
It's hard to tell you how to hang the fixture without seeing your room and how much space you have. I erected scaffolding in my entrance foyer to hang that light. There wasn't enough room to have the scaffolding off to the side so the chandelier hung vertically within the scaffold. I first set the walk board of the scaffold high for doing the wiring and attaching the light at the ceiling. Then I moved the walk board lower so the light could be assembled within the scaffold. Then after it was all set up I took the scaffold down.

Luckily I own nice aluminum scaffolding that makes this relatively easy. If you have to rent scaffolding pick up the pieces before you take them home to see if you can handle them. Most rental stores only have steel scaffold and it's much heavier especially when you have to erect three bucks high. But, if you have to rent scaffolding it may be a good time to consider hiring someone to hang it for you. That isn't totally risk free as you need to be worried how those people will get up there without marking your walls or scratching your floors.

Changing light bulbs are an issue but that happens very rarely. The biggie is cleaning. I put a tarp on the floor and then old towels to absorb drips. Set up a ladder or ladders to get close enough. Then use spray chandelier cleaner. You just spray it on liberally and let it drip onto the floor. It does a 90%+ job of cleaning. There is some streaking and rainbow affect but you have to get quite close to the fixture to see it and it's not visible from the ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: