Ceiling fan issue please help


  #1  
Old 02-12-20, 12:12 PM
E
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan issue please help

I recently installed a ceiling fan in my living room the switch was off and I still got electrocuted. It's installed now however the fan and light work but two outlets In my bedroom only work with one thing plugged in if I plug in more than one the outlets won't work. Wires were already there for old ceiling fame it had four color coded and they were hooked up to the same colors on the new one.
 

Last edited by PJmax; 02-12-20 at 01:32 PM. Reason: removed un-needed links
  #2  
Old 02-12-20, 12:21 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 8,001
Received 501 Upvotes on 411 Posts
Sounds like the power came into the fan box first. Thus turning off the switch did not kill the power in the box.
 
  #3  
Old 02-12-20, 01:35 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 63,811
Received 3,740 Upvotes on 3,356 Posts
Is that even a fan rated box you have there ??
When working on a circuit..... you are always advised to turn the circuit breaker off.
Now it sounds like you've wired something incorrectly at the fan location.
We'd need pictures of the wiring to comment further..... How-to-insert-pictures.
 
  #4  
Old 02-12-20, 03:23 PM
Andrew's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 952
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Beware, you may have more than one circuit in that box. And, I'm sorry you got a shock. If you were electrocuted, you wouldn't be writing this post. :-)
Andy
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: