Converting recessed light to hold light fixture

Old 02-24-20, 06:24 AM
Q
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting recessed light to hold light fixture

Hi,

I recently used “The Can Converter” converter kit from Lowe’s so I could hang a light fixture from a New Construction recessed light fixture. Is the power supply to the recessed light already grounded??

The converter kit comes with a screw in power supply that screws into the socket that’s in the recessed fixture. The socket in the recessed fixture only has a hot wire and neutral wire. The screw in adapter only has a hot wire and neutral wire. The mounting bracket that goes up in the can has a ground wire, and the new light fixture has a ground wire. I’m guess attaching these two is the proper move? I was just confused when I did not see any ground wire coming out of the recessed light power.

Also noticed the lights keep slightly flickering every few seconds. Not sure if it’s the wiring or cheap fixture.

Last edited by qfdkamp08; 02-24-20 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-24-20, 09:59 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 272 Upvotes on 248 Posts
The screw in power supply delivers a low voltage from its output terminals and does not need a ground wire per se.

The framework of the original can light fixture, even with the sheet metal cylindrical "can" part removed if needed to reach the 120 volt wiring junction box in the ceiling, is (should be) grounded and that is where you would attach a green wire that came out of the new fixture.

If per chance the framework is not grounded due to lack of a ground wire (equipment grounding conductor) in the junction box, then you may optionally run a separate EGC down to the properly grounded panel with the breaker for this branch circuit, exactly, approximately, or vaguely following the circuit wires. Should the new EGC first reach a fat ground wire (grounding electrode conductor) going to a ground rod or approved water pipe electrode ground or (new) another, properly grounded, outlet it may end and be attached there.

Old 02-24-20, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
The supply ground wire is connected in the junction box which is behind the can up in the ceiling.
That's why there is no visible ground wire.

Connecting to any part of the metal can should be ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: