Ceiling Fan switch suddenly stopped working.

Old 02-26-20, 07:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan switch suddenly stopped working.

I have a ceiling fan with a light in my bedroom. I was recently replacing some outlets in the room and when I flipped the breaker back on, the light switch that controlled the fan/light didn't work. The fan/light still worked when I pulled the cords, but the switch did not. I never even touched the switch. How did this happen, and how can I fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-20, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 589 Votes on 554 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You probably didn't observe the wiring on the receptacles. It sounds like you originally had a switched receptacle and someone changed the receptacle to always live and used the switch to control the fan/light.

Usually with a switched receptacle you'll find 2 hot wires on one side and 1 neutral on the other side.
Did you come across any strange wiring ?
Possibly a white wire in a strange place ?
You'll probably need to check the switch to see what you have for wiring there.
My guess is you'll find one cable with white and black on the switch.

Old 03-05-20, 03:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for responding.

I have since replaced the switch in hopes that it went out inexplicably, maybe switching out a new one would fix it inexplicably. But nothing changed. There appears to be one hot and one neutral wire.

BUT, the biggest confusing part was that the switch stopped working BEFORE I even touched it. Just switching out near by outlets caused something to go wrong somehow. I've tested those outlets and the tester says they're fine. So how could that light switch have screwed up before even touching it?

Old 03-05-20, 03:49 PM
J
Received 139 Votes on 125 Posts
The connection between the switch and the fan is in one of the receptacle boxes.
Was one or more of the receptacles also controlled by the switch or half controlled? Do you still have the old receptacles? If so take a close look at them. One or more them might have the tab cut between the gold screws. If you left that tab in place on the new receptacle the light would not switch.

Old 03-06-20, 03:59 AM
B
Received 46 Votes on 40 Posts
Retrace your steps as others have suggested since you changed something.