garage re-wiring

Old 03-29-20, 02:20 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage re-wiring

I'm fixing up my old garage and want to re-wire the whole thing , the building is almost 100' from the panel in my house basement where I need to draw power. There will be two rooms with four shop lights, 6 plugs in each room, a 220V welder outlet in one room. Do I need to use 12/2 wire with 20Amp breaker for plugs ? Can I run 15 amp lights off the 20amp plug circuits ? I plan to wire the two rooms separately. Does the distance of the garage from the main panel figure into this ?
Thanks for you help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-20, 05:22 AM
A
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
I'm fixing up my old garage and want to re-wire the whole thing , the building is almost 100' from the panel in my house basement where I need to draw power.
You say you want to re-wire your garage which tells us it already has power coming to it. If this is the case then you can't draw (run another circuit) to the detached garage as you are only allowed on circuit going to a detached garage.

If you have power coming to the garage what is the circuit made up of presently?

Old 03-29-20, 05:37 AM
S
garage rewire

Sorry for lack of details. Right now the garage is wired using , I think salvaged wires from a deep well submersible pump -- 2 wires no ground. It feeds two lights and two plugs and draws power from a ceiling light in the house basement. My plan is to get rid of that wire completely and run new wire from the main house panel in the basement to the plugs and lights in the garage. It would be a run of about 90' from the panel to the garage. Maybe I need to consider running proper wire for a sub-panel in the garage ?

Old 03-29-20, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 129 Votes on 114 Posts
Installing a sub-panel in the garage would be the best option. I would recommend at least 60 amps, 120/240 volt to the garage and maybe 100 amps if the welder you have will be a large one.

Old 03-29-20, 07:23 AM
S
garage rewire

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I forgot to ask, if the distance from the panel is a consideration in choosing wire type &:gauge

Old 03-29-20, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 129 Votes on 114 Posts
At 100' +/- I would not be too concerned. The load is not going to be that high except when the welder is going so I do not see voltage drop being much of an issue. If you are concerned you can always up the wire size one or two sizes.

Old 03-29-20, 01:26 PM
S
garage rewire

Thanks for the quick responses , I fee much better about the whole thing now👍, greatly appreciated

Old 03-30-20, 11:36 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 69 Posts
To loop back on one of your original questions:
Do I need to use 12/2 wire with 20Amp breaker for plugs?
The breaker needs to match the wire size. In a garage, I would probably use 12ga cable with a 20A breaker. Gives you a bit more room to plug a shop vac, drill and compressor into the same circuit and not worry about it. But you could certainly use 14ga wire and a 15A breaker if you wanted.

Can I run 15 amp lights off the 20amp plug circuits
Well, you could run 12ga wire to your lights and run them off the same circuit. But I would use a separate 15A circuit with 14ga wire to the lights. The 14ga wire will be easier to fish, will be cheaper, and you're less likely to see any dimming or flickering if you're using a large tool on the same circuit.