Wiring a dimmer

Old 03-31-20, 07:31 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring a dimmer

I had to change the double switch box with a three switch box, I had marked the wires but in old age I screwed up. I have a Lutron maestro MACL-153MLH-LA and a COMPANION LUTRON DIMMER. I have enclosed a rough wiring diagram. Instead of drawing lines every were I used letters and numbers to indicate location of wires, on the switch boxes. I gave my self shorts on the BX cable from box 1 and box 2 just to make sure there no new opens. On one diagram I have tried two different ways but the light and dimmer will not work. Any ideas!!!

Attached Images   
Old 04-01-20, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I'm not understanding which switch you messed with or what is at what box.

I see companion dimmer on BX3.
I see dimmer on BX2.
I see power out on BX4.
I see power in on BX1. (white and black) nothing on red wire.

Your wiring is shown at the light incorrectly. You are showing two black wires on the light.
Where is the neutral coming from ?

Old 04-03-20, 09:47 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That is what the main problem was, no neutral on one side of the light. In the original dimmer I took out the BLK wires did not go to any neutral. I had look a few times at the pictures I took. How it worked I did not know but it worked for about 10 years. When I replaced electrical box that is when I had the problem. To solve the problem I broke the ceiling and installed BX in light box and ran the other end to a box and grabbed a neutral from another box. Then I was able to get the dimmer to work.I just had to fix the ceiling hole and had to go an craw in the fiberglass insulation to get the neutral to the light. That night I solved the problem while I was sleeping. All I had to do was take the BLK IN BX 2 AND CONNECT IT TO A NEUTRAL (w-1) IN THE MAIN DIMMER BOX.
I had noticed on another site they used letters and numbers in instead of drawing lines.When example W-2 was used it meant the white wire from bx2. Or if you used the BLK-3 and it was to the brass screw it came from BX3.

Old 04-03-20, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
By code.... you cannot use a neutral from a different circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: