Replacing power cable of wall fan

Old 04-01-20, 12:13 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing power cable of wall fan

Hi EveryoneThe original fan cable was damaged so i thought maybe i could cut it off and replace it with a cable and plug from an extension cable.

The wierd thing is, it worked for a while and now doesn't.

In the picture attached, there is voltage in all the connections when plugged in, and there is also a reading without voltage in the unconnected white wire. Nothing in the blue wire.

When i connect the white and blue wires (as i had before, and it worked for a while), then the white/blue connection gets no reading at all and of course the fan doesn't turn.

Can anyone shed any light on any of this? Why no voltage in the white wire after i connect it to the blue one? Could another component have blown or something? There was never any smoke/burning at any stage.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Nick

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-20, 02:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,523 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Thailand.

I'm guessing based on your local that blue is neutral and brown is hot.
Normally neutral would go directly to the motor and the hot would be switched thru a speed control.

The red, brown and black wires are the fans three speed wires. One to each winding of the fan.
The mystery to me is what is the blue wire coming from the fan connecting to with that white wire to the switch ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: