New Photoelectric Sensor repeatedly turns off and on...

Old 04-03-20, 09:32 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Photoelectric Sensor repeatedly turns off and on...

Please help!

I just wired a new photoelectric sensor and it keeps turning off and on repeatedly. There's not a cloud in the sky and it is super sunny.

When the sensor is covered the lights come on as expected. However, within about a minute, they turn off. Then another minute... they turn back on. They turn off and on while still covered.

When I walk away and just leave the sensor open (pointed out towards broad daylight) you can hear the sensor click off and on while the light turns off and on every minute or so.

Does anyone have some ideas why this is happening and/or suggestions for fixing?? I'm at a total loss!

The packaging says it is a Sigma Electric Photoelectric Switch. The switch itself is a CQC Brand by Qicheng Electrical Equip Co. Model is LC-105.

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-20, 09:51 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 178 Posts
I know motion sensors have a test mode that turn them on and off in a shorter duration for ensuring they work correctly. To reset, you need to turn off power to the sensor for at least 1 minute, then turn it back on.

I don't know that photoelectric sensors have the same test cycle option, but it's worth trying.

What kind of load/bulbs do you have connected? It's possible it's having trouble with LEDs. I'd try a standard incandescent/halogen bulb at least temporarily.

Lastly, it could be a defective sensor. It's not unheard of... but obviously I'd check other options first.

Old 04-04-20, 09:29 AM
A
Thanks Zorfdt... I actually was worried about the LED bulbs working with this sensor and I did try changing them out. However, that wasn't the problem. There is a reason I am "Amateur757". Bottom line, I had the line/load wires crossed.

For the inevitable next amateur that is searching for help, lemme 'splain!

I initially wired perfectly. The issue started when I flipped the switch to "on" and nothing happened. I figured immediately that something was wrong and turned the switch off. I later figured out that there is a delay in the sensor before it allows power to the lights!

In my infinite amateurish wisdom, I reversed the wires, flipped the switch on... and there ya go... the bulbs lit up beautifully. Then they turned off, then on, then off, then on. Over and over every 40 seconds or so. I actually reversed the wires back... turned the power on but never waited long enough for the sensor's time delay to engage. No immediate light so turned it back off and reversed the wires again.

HOURS later I realized there was a time delay by listening to the click of the sensor and watching the lights turn on and off about avery 45 seconds. Then it hit me, maybe I need to put the wires back as I had them originally... cover the sensor with black electric tape (to simulate total darkeness as best I could) and just wait. That did the trick. I flipped the switch on and about 30 seconds later the lights came on... and STAYED on! I pulled the electrical tape off the sensor and about 30-40 seconds later the lights turned off and never came back on again until dusk.

I'll take my beatdown now... but I'm hoping this might help someone else later down the road.

It never fails... I can troubleshoot for hours and the moment I ask for help, the answer is immediately discovered.

Old 04-04-20, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
I reversed the wires, flipped the switch on...
That's the reason electronic controls are labeled.
You're lucky you didn't damage that sensor.

Old 04-04-20, 09:38 AM
A
Beat down #1: Accepted

Thanks Pete... I thought the same.

Old 04-04-20, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
It's not a beatdown..... with electronic controls you can't randomly connect the wires.

Old 04-04-20, 10:09 AM
A
No offense taken, Pete! Frankly, I'm just as surprised the sensor didn't get damaged.

Just happy I didn't electrocute myself... this time. Progress...

Old 04-04-20, 11:45 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 178 Posts
It never fails... I can troubleshoot for hours and the moment I ask for help, the answer is immediately discovered.
That's the way it always goes... regardless of your skill level. And trust me, it gets worse as you get better at a skill, there's no way you can make those newbie mistakes... but you can and do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: