Three way switch knob and tube, no red wire

Old 04-04-20, 08:46 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Three way switch knob and tube, no red wire

So Iím trying to replace a ceiling light that had stopped working recently. When I removed the light it was an absolute disaster. Everything was too corroded for me to see how it was wired. By the time I got it out and the wires clean I noticed there were only white and black wires coming out of the three separate knob and tubes coming out of ceiling (no red). One tube had two white and black coming out of it, the other tubes had a white and black each. The light us e to use an old push button three way upstairs and a regular switch downstairs and the light worked fine for years. I replaced the old push button with a new three way and a new regular switch downstairs. I keep all three black wires together with the light and have tried multiple combinations of two separate white wire combos with the white wire of the light. I can either get the light to stay or permanently or not work at all. I can not get the switches to work no matter how I wire the white wires. Any ideas?!

Last edited by Eric Lacivita; 04-04-20 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 04-04-20, 08:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,531 Votes on 1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Have you considered replacing the knob and tube wiring. It can be hard to troubleshoot and since the wire color is next to impossible to see..... it causes many problems.

There should only be two wires at the light...... switched hot and neutral so there would not be a need for a third wire there. Unfortunately with misc black and white switch wires it may be almost impossible for us to help you in an online forum.

You would need to identify every wire at the switch.

Old 04-04-20, 10:25 AM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
Three way switches in K&T do not wire like they do with cables. Since they can pick up hots and neutral anywhere along the circuit, it can difficult to understand the connections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: