Dimmer for fan and light

Old 04-04-20, 11:11 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmer for fan and light

I just bought a old house with 1 Ceiling LED light and a fan with 3 bulbs on single dimmer. When I recently changed the fan bulbs to led, the bulbs flicker when dimmed.

i understated this might be due to an old style dimmer and I need to change it. Can someone please help guide if this is correct path and what type dimmer to get?

Alao is this setup okay? What happens to fan if I dim the light, would it slow down the fan too?

Old 04-05-20, 06:14 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 272 Upvotes on 248 Posts
The single dimmer controlling the entire fan and light unit will slow down the fan. But first the dimmer and fan motor need to be compatible. The dimmer and lights also need to be compatible to avoid unnatural flickering.

Incandescent lights (including halogen but not halide) work with any dimmer.

Usually controlling both fan and lights with a single dimmer is inconvenient so you are better off running additional wiring as needed for separate dimming and also making it easier to find compatible dimmers for lights and fan separately.

Old 04-05-20, 06:15 AM
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
Short answer is yes. Usually ceiling fans have 3 speeds. Not sure if you can use a variable speed or dimmer for a fan.

Your description is confusing. You have a light that was originally an LED with a dimmer. And a separate fan with a 3 bulb light controlled by the same dimmer? Doesn't make sense. What am I not understanding?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: