Replacing Ceiling Fan With A Light Fixture

Old 04-06-20, 05:37 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Ceiling Fan With A Light Fixture

My fiance and I just bought a house and are trying to do the small upgrades ourselves. The one bedroom looks like it used to have a ceiling fan based on the bracket on the celing, however the wires are just capped with wire nuts. There are 2 black wires and 2 white wires. The 2 white wires are connected to each other with a wire nut. The 2 black wires are not connected to anything. So my question, the replacement light fixture has 1 black and 1 white wire, how do I connect the wires? Thank you in advance.

Old 04-06-20, 08:30 AM
M
Received 164 Votes on 151 Posts
Do you have a meter and do you know how to use it.

Remove the wire nut but leave the wires connected.

Check for 120 volts from black to black.
Check for voltage from the whites to each black.
If there is a switch in the room move it re: if it is off turn it on and vice versa.
Now check the voltages again.

Old 04-06-20, 08:33 AM
A
Received 134 Votes on 123 Posts
Using your multimeter find out which ceiling black wire is live. (measure between black and white.)
Verify that the other black wire is dead, if not then stop here. More detailed circuit tracing is needed.
Now turn off the power (at the breaker).

Connect the (correction) dead black wire to the black wire of the new light fixture.
Unhook the two white wires and connect the white ceiling wire that goes with the live black wire (from the same cable or bundle) to the white fixture wire.
Connect the other two wire ends (not from the same cabl4e) together.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: