Converting 3-way switch to single pole

Old 04-07-20, 06:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting 3-way switch to single pole

I have a 3-way switch that I would like to convert to a single pole switch so I can install a smart switch.

Switch 1 is never used and I would like to cover it up with a wall plate so it canít be used. Switch 2 is the switch where I would like to install a single pole smart switch. It is beside a second switch (switch 3) that controls a different light. I have labeled the switches in the pictures below.

Switch 1 has 3 wires (red, white, black)

Switch 2 has 4 wires (red, white, 2 blacks)

I didnít take any pictures of switch 3 because that switch controls a different light.

Can anyone give detailed instructions on what I need to do? Thanks.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-20, 08:21 PM
J
Received 190 Votes on 168 Posts
I need to see more wires in the box. But his is what I think you will find.
Switch 2.
Where is the black wire from the cable with the red and white. It should be connected to another black wire. That other black wire will be the LOAD connection for your smart switch.
The black looped on switch 2 is the LINE(HOT) wire for your smart switch.
There should be a bundle of white wires in the box. That will be your neutral connection for the smart switch.
All three wire from the red, black white cable are not required.Cap them together and push into back of both boxes.

Old 04-08-20, 05:21 PM
S
I drew a diagram. I did not draw the neutral wires or the ground wires as those are straight forward. I just need to know which wires connect to the two black live wires on the smart switch. Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-20, 06:55 PM
J
Received 190 Votes on 168 Posts
Still need to look in the box for a bunch of white and another black wire connection.

Nothing you are showing changes my original post.

Old 04-08-20, 08:32 PM
S
What I did was the following and it seems to work fine with the new switch installed:

Switch 1: I wired nutted the black and red wires together and put a wire nut on the white wire.

Switch 2: See image below. The smart switch has 4 wires coming out of it (neutral, ground, and two black wires labelled "LIVE/LOAD"). For simplicity, I did not draw the neutral wires or the ground wire in my image below. I only drew the LIVE/LOAD wires coming out of the smart switch and what I connected them to.

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-20, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 761 Votes on 715 Posts
I was drawing/modifying your diagram to come up with the following diagram. I would have disconnected the three wire cable to the other switch but your method is also ok.

Name:  wiring diagram (1).jpg
Views: 18
Size:  54.1 KB