Broken strip light?

Old 04-13-20, 06:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken strip light?

Hi all,

Complete lighting/electrics newbie here, I have a pull on/off light in my cupboard that has stopped working. I think I accidentally knocked it one day but only lightly. I have bought a new lightbulb for it (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but it doesn't work so I don't think it's the bulb.

In order to fix the fitting and/or replace with a new light fitting, what would I need / need to do? Photo attached and thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-20, 06:57 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
So it looks like it's hard wired. Turn off the circuit and remove the who fixture. If you're new or inexperienced in electrical repair, I would not bother trying to fix it. Buy a new fixture.
Looks like you're not from the USA, as the replacement bulb is not our typical standard.

Old 04-13-20, 07:30 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, UK. Stupid question but is there any easy way for me to know which circuit this light fitting is on in the fuse box in our basement? And by 'buy a new fixture' what sort of thing would you look for? Sorry for what may appear silly questions!

Old 04-13-20, 08:11 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
If you have no way of determining which circuit breaker control that light, then turn off all power then remove it. Separate the wires and cap them off. Then turn power back on. Do you know ho w to use a VOM?
Just buy a brand new fixture (hardwired) and install the same way the old was removed.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but I think you need someone with knowledge of how to install a new unit and some basic idea of electricity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: