Holes around light boxes too large

Old 04-30-20, 08:50 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Holes around light boxes too large

Replacing some lights on the outside of the shop and the holes that the round boxes are set in are cut too big. I need lights with at least a 4.5" wide base to cover them. Those seem hard to find in my price point.

Is there a better way. If I use a 4 1.4 it leaves a decent gap. I could use a fair amount caulking to seal it up and paint, but I feel like that's not going to produce a good result.

Easy way to remedy that I am not thinking of?

Name:  20200430_200912-resized-800.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  180.7 KB

Popular Reply

05-01-20, 07:16 AM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 933 Votes on 852 Posts
And by "mounting block" I don't mean anything special you need to Google or buy. A simple block of 5/4" x 8" Azek cut square or rectangle (depending on the shape of the fixture) with a 4.5" hole drilled in it, would work.

I think Arlington makes a variety of UL mounts (they are a molded box AND mounting block) you might be able to switch to if you wanted to get into taking siding off and changing the boxes.

The blocks Geo linked to are for specific siding profiles (The surface mount ones might work or might need to be trimmed to fit the shape of your siding profile) and others with a snap ring are only meant for vinyl siding.

Old 04-30-20, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
I find I hard to believe that the light wouldn't cover that. I've never seen lights so small. They must be made for smaller boxes. But if it doesnt cover, you could make your own trim ring. You could go to a plastics company and get some 1/4" thick scraps of nylon, for instance. Cut donut rings out of the pieces. Then mount your light over that and caulk both edges. That box certainly doesn't look waterproof.

I'd probably make a 6x6 mounting block to go around the box instead... cutting back the siding so that the block would be inset into the siding. The hole in the mounting block could obviously be cut tighter to the box that way. Then caulk the edges of the siding where it butts up to the mounting block.

Old 05-01-20, 04:46 AM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Hi, I would agree itís hard to believe the fixture canopy wouldnít cover the box, but there are blocks out there that should work.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building...z0tpscZ1z17out.
Geo

Old 05-01-20, 06:47 AM
S
XSleeper those boxes are 4.5" and a lot of lights use a 4.25 or 4.375. Surprised how tight it's been even with some lights 22" tall. It's a major irritant. Maybe it's my desire for the type of light to be similar to our others and to keep the pricepoint reasonable. The mounting block idea is a good one too. I'll keep checking.

Geochurchi thank you for that. I had never seen mounting blocks before. I will be all over those to provide a better seal and to make some others work. Seems like they are for vinyl siding, but I'll have to see if they will fit the wood siding we have. Thanks so much for sharing those.

Old 05-01-20, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
And by "mounting block" I don't mean anything special you need to Google or buy. A simple block of 5/4" x 8" Azek cut square or rectangle (depending on the shape of the fixture) with a 4.5" hole drilled in it, would work.

I think Arlington makes a variety of UL mounts (they are a molded box AND mounting block) you might be able to switch to if you wanted to get into taking siding off and changing the boxes.

The blocks Geo linked to are for specific siding profiles (The surface mount ones might work or might need to be trimmed to fit the shape of your siding profile) and others with a snap ring are only meant for vinyl siding.

Silverbullet555, Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 05-01-20, 07:32 AM
S
I hear you. I like the mounting block idea without having to cut into the siding, but those may not be the best options. Cutting in and mounting a block as you suggested might be. I need to explore a little after work to decide the best solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: