Basement lights stopped working suddenly. Tester says hot and ground reversed

Old 05-03-20, 07:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement lights stopped working suddenly. Tester says hot and ground reversed

Hi all

One fine (not) day...The lights and receptacle in the basement stopped working. If I turn on light switch, the light will flicker on for half a second and then nothing.
Using the receptacle tester showed the problem as
”hot and ground reversed”.

Calling an electrician is a little challenging due to over abundance of covid virus in my county.

Any recommendations will be helpful. Especially since basement houses the play area for the kids.

Thanks

Old 05-03-20, 08:09 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
That is an indication of an open/loose neutral. A common cause of this issue is back stab connections. If you have any of those move the wires to the screw terminals.

Old 05-03-20, 09:30 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pls confirm ..your suggestion is to open all the receptacle boxes and ensure the neutral wire is screwed properly.
there are 6 boxes.

Old 05-03-20, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The devices usually follow a logical pattern and the power passes from one to another. If you knew how the circuit was wired.... you'd check the first box. If what you described is the entire circuit.... I pick the point closest to the panel. Otherwise.... yes.... you will need to open every receptacle and switch to check for a loose neutral/white wire.

If you find the wiring pushed into the back of the receptacles.... that is common intermittent problem and the wiring would get moved to the screw terminals.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: