Rewiring Antique Italian Lamp

Old 05-04-20, 02:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rewiring Antique Italian Lamp

I have an Italian-made ceramic lamp: Campagnolo Arteluce. It appears to considered an antique and was hand-painted. The wiring shorted out and needs to be replaced.
The power cord from the plug goes up through a threaded shaft that runs from the base of the lamp, through a ceramic stand (6 1/2 inched long) up to a narrow ceramic shade (7 1/2 inches wide) that hangs down around the shaft. There is a metal plate near the top of the threaded shaft that supports the ceramic shade. The power cord comes out of the shaft and enters a splitter (I don't think I can reuse the splitter) anchored to the plate, with power cords emerging to connect to two sockets. The connecters on the sockets were corroded and need to be replaced. The sockets and the candelabra-flame bulbs in the sockets pointed down from the bottom of the plate.
There is not enough room between the metal plate and the ceramic shade to install a common, vertical socket.
How do I take the single power cord, split it up to service two sockets? And what kind of sockets should I use on this application?

Old 05-04-20, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you have a custom made fixture..... you may need to take it to a professional lamp rebuilder.
In any event.... we'd need to see pictures to really offer any detailed help.
How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 05-05-20, 09:36 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 425 Upvotes on 378 Posts
Is there enough room to use end crimp connectors to splice the wires from the lamp holders to the main incoming feed?

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-20, 01:47 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

I appreciate the responses didn't know if this was still an active site, so I'm grateful for any assistance.
I'll post some photos tomorrow.
There's not enough room for crimp connectors. Looking at it some more, and checking out some things that are available on Amazon, there appears to be two issues I need to resolve:
  • A splitter or T connector to turn the two wires from the power cord into two sets of wires for the two sockets;
  • And some way to secure the sockets. The sockets butt up against the bottom of the metal plate. There are two holes in the metal plate for the power cords to go through (got to measure the holes yet). The original sockets had small, plastic nuts that went on the top side of the metal plate and screwed into the sockets from above, keeping the sockets secure and in place. The connectors for the wires were inside the top half of the socket. The connectors were corroded and one of the small screws snapped off as I was trying to get it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: