Replacing Dimmer Switch with different wiring

Old 05-20-20, 01:57 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing Dimmer Switch with different wiring

I have an outdoor pavilion which includes LED lighting that will dim. The lights are currently controlled with a dimmer switch. I purchased another dimmer switch which also includes a wireless remote switch (Lutron Caseta) in order to replace the existing switch that does not include the wireless remote..

I turned off the power and opened the switch box. The current switch includes four wires (black/power, white/neutral, green/ground and a yellow wire(?) which connects to a red wire in the box The new switch only includes three wires, 2 black and 1 green.

Do I need a different switch/remote that includes four wires? Or can this one be connected? If so what about the lack of the yellow wire to red?

I have attached photos of the new dimmer switch/remote, the back of the new switch showing the 2 black and 1 green wire, inside of the box showing the four wires hooked up from the current switch, and the yellow wire attached to the red wire in the box.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attached Images     
Old 05-20-20, 05:03 PM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
Looks like your old dimmer might have required a neutral. You new one does not. connect the two black wires to the same place as the black and yellow wires.

Old 05-20-20, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
The latest version of the Lutron Caseta wireless does not require a neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: