Philips BR38 Yellow Flood - Bug Repellant?

Old 05-22-20, 09:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Philips BR38 Yellow Flood - Bug Repellant?

I have 2 sets of 2 BR38 yellow floods and one is out and local Home Depot doesn't have a direct replacement. They do have PAR38 but those seem more focused instead of wide spread like the BR38. Should I just replace with PAR38 or will it be noticeable? I prefer LED but can't find BR38 LEDs and replacing all 4 seems wasteful. Also, are yellow lights bug repellant? I've read mixed things.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-20, 10:51 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
A PAR will definitely have a much tighter beam angle (45 degrees or less) while your BR is probably more around 90 degrees. But you usually don't see wet/damp rated BR bulbs. There may be some, but outdoors, I always go with PAR bulbs.

As for yellow bulbs keeping bugs away, I do know they are not repellant. Some people feel that a yellow light attracts fewer bugs than a white light. It may true, but also probably made more complicated with LED lights as the color of LED lights are different than what we were used to with incandescent bulbs. I've never read anything about whether bugs like LED lights more or less, nor what color temperature they prefer or not.

Old 05-22-20, 10:53 AM
S
Given I have 2 sets of 4, will the 1 PAR stand out? I'd rather not throw out the others that are working.

Old 05-22-20, 12:01 PM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Hi, I guess one way to find out would be to purchase one from HD and try it, and if its really noticeable return it.
Geo

Old 05-22-20, 12:03 PM
S
Yes -- Trying to avoid an unnecessary trip given the current situation. I guess no real way to know for sure unless I try.