Help Installing FEIT wifi switches on 2 3-way 2 Fixture Circuit

Old 05-24-20, 07:10 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Installing FEIT wifi switches on 2 3-way 2 Fixture Circuit

Hi All,

I bought 2 3-way FEIT wifi switches to install in my dinning room which has 2 sets of 3 high hats each set controlled by 2 3-way switches.

On the line side, I attached both the Line and T1 traveler to the common screw as directed. The Red T2 is connected to one of the Brass screws also as per instructions.

Now, at the other set of switches where I want to install the 2 wifi units, I have the traveler wires for both switches, but only one 14/3 wire running back up to the light fixtures. This is what confuses me. I don't know how to connect the wifi switches with this configuration.

I actually had an electrician come out and try to install these initially but he was unsuccessful.

I've attached the installation instructions. Any thoughts on how I can make this work would greatly be appreciated.
Regards,

Gianni

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
1382685-Installation-Guide.pdf (374.4 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-20, 07:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
but only one 14/3 wire running back up to the light fixtures. This is what confuses me.
The 14/3 is likely the two switch legs. IE: the black wire switches one set of lights and the red wire switches the other set of lights.

gianni voted this post useful.
Old 05-24-20, 07:30 AM
G
Thanks Tolyn. I assumed the same and connected the WiFi switches using the Red/Black as Load and connecting the incoming traveler wires as per the instructions. The only issue is that one of my mechanical switches has been rendered useless which is proving annoying to my wife. Any ideas on how I can keep both mechanical switches operational?

Old 05-24-20, 07:59 AM
J
Received 199 Votes on 176 Posts
That switch requires a neutral. Please describe or post a picture of the switch wiring setup at both switches.
Not all white wires are neutrals. If the electrician couldn't do it, I suspect it can't be done for lack of neutral.

gianni voted this post useful.
Old 05-24-20, 08:09 AM
G
Thanks Joed.

On the Line side, the neutral wires are bundled together by a wire nut and pushed in to the back of the box. On the other end, the neutral wires are also bundled together, but the electrician added a pig tail from the bundle to the first WiFi switch and then another pig tail to connect the 2nd WiFi switch directly to the first WiFi switch.

Is this a problem?

Old 05-24-20, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Is this a problem?
No. The pigtails should work fine.

Any ideas on how I can keep both mechanical switches operational?
Make sure the standard switches are connected to separate 3 wire cables. You should have one 2 wire cable coming into the box which is feeding the standard switches. Then, a 3 wire cable for each standard switch which goes to the smart switches and the last cable from the smart switches to the lights. Only one traveler is used between the standard switches and the smart switch. The other traveler in both cables is connected to the line wire in the first box. That wire is connected to the smart switch so it has power all the time.

If that doesn't make sense please post a clear picture of the wires in both boxes.

Old 05-24-20, 10:30 AM
G
Hi Tolyn,

You guys are fantastic. Thank you for taking the time to figure this out with me.

The standard switches are connected to 2 separate sets of traveler wires with connected neutral wires. However, I have 2 line wires (black\neutral) feeding the standard switches. The black wires from the line are connected using a wire nut, and then connected to the common screw on the standard switches. Then each switch is connected to a black traveler wire (at the common screw as per FEIT instructions) and a red traveler wire using the brass screw above. The neutral wires for both line and load are connected using a wire nut.

Should one of the standard switches use the red wire as "traveler 1" instead of both standard switches using the red wire as traveler 2?

Thanks again!

Old 05-24-20, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 824 Votes on 774 Posts
I am a pictures person. A picture or two of the wiring tells me instantly what I'm working with.

Treat each 3w system separately.
We know each one has it's own three wire cable.

I'm just going to add some information.....
You need to know which switch of the 3w circuit is feed/line and which switch is load/lights.
You can easily move hot and neutral anywhere with the three wire cable between switches.
A 3w switch at the end of a circuit is called a dead end 3 way.

Old 05-24-20, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Then each switch is connected to a black traveler wire (at the common screw as per FEIT instructions) and a red traveler wire using the brass screw above.
That doesn't sound correct.

Standard switch box:
Connect the line coming in (black) of the standard switch box to the common of both standard switches using a pigtail wire.
Connect both black traveler wires also to the line wire.
Connect the red wire to the brass screw of the standard switches. (one per switch)
The other brass screw on the switches will not be used.

Smart switch box (do the same for each switch):
Black traveler wire connects to T1
Red traveler wire connects to T2
Load connects to load screw
Whites to N screw

Grounds connect to ground screws.