Installing a remote control for ceiling fan/light

Old 06-09-20, 11:51 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a remote control for ceiling fan/light

I have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan / light that I want to install a remote control in. The current set up has a single pole switch for the fan and a single pole dimmer switch for the light. I have a red, black, white, and bare wire coming out of the ceiling. The red is connected to the blue for the light and the black is connected to the black for the fan. The remote receiver has only a black and white on the input side. It has a Blue ( for the light), White (neutral), and Black(fan) on the output side. I would like to keep the ability to dim the light with the dimmer switch. The output side is clear - blue to blue, black to black, and white to white. Where do I connect the red coming out of the ceiling? Alternatively, is this remote receiver not compatible with a setup like I have? The box says it is compatible with Harbor Breeze.

Old 06-09-20, 01:31 PM
J
Received 501 Upvotes on 411 Posts
It will not work with both the dimmer and the remote unless your remote has a built in dimmer function.

Old 06-09-20, 02:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do I just use the black and white wire from the ceiling and connect them to the black and white on the input side of the receiver and cap off the red wire?

Old 06-09-20, 03:00 PM
M
Received 289 Upvotes on 259 Posts
It is probably compatible with Harbor Breeze.
But as far as I know there is nothing that will let a remote dimmer and a wall dimmer run the same light.
You would need a three way dimmer in both the wall switch and the remote control box.
So it is one or the other.

One thing to be aware of when you have a fan with a remote on a switch that often the default is the light on.
In other words if the switch is turned off the light will come on when the switch is turned on.

Old 06-09-20, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,754 Upvotes on 3,366 Posts
One thing to be aware of when you have a fan with a remote on a switch that often the default is the light on. In other words if the switch is turned off the light will come on when the switch is turned on.
You have that backwards. Most lights will only come on when the remote is pushed.
AFAIK.... Hunter is the only brand that had the fan come on when the remote was powered on.

The box says it is compatible with Harbor Breeze.
It would be helpful to post what you bought as we can't see the box.
You have a three wire fan/light combo. Most remotes are compatible with that setup.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: