Two ceiling fans on same circuit not working

Old 07-13-20, 11:39 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two ceiling fans on same circuit not working

I have a Big Ass Fans Haiku ceiling fan in each of two bedrooms that were working when installed by an electrician when my home was built 4 years ago. The two bedrooms are on the same 15amp circuit. All lights and outlets in the bedrooms are working and there is 120v at the breaker. Since the bedrooms are spares, the two ceiling fans haven't been energized in a few years. A few days ago, I tried turning them on, but nothing. So, I tested power to them and both are getting just .8v. Before I go tearing into all the outlets, or running lines to it directly from an outlet, I thought I'd ask the experts here for advice. What do you think? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-20, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 904 Votes on 844 Posts
Check from black to ground to see if you are missing hot or neutral.
If you see nothing from hot to ground.... you have an open hot wire.

If the fans were added later there may be a splice box in the attic.
You'll need to identify what is on that circuit. Then determine what is working and what is not.
The problem will be between a working location and a non working location.

Old 07-13-20, 12:37 PM
Z
Hot to ground is 120v. Neutral to ground is 118v. This one 15A circuit supplies power to the recessed lighting, plugs and these two fans in both bedrooms and nothing else. All the lights and plugs are working.

Old 07-13-20, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
Ahhh...ok. Then you have an open neutral.
Probably going to be a splice in a box where a wire has fallen out of the splice.

Old 07-13-20, 12:40 PM
Z
The two fans were installed in two pre established ceiling boxes put in when the home was constructed.

Old 07-13-20, 12:45 PM
Z
Ok, I'll check the outlets and switches. Does this mean one neutral off a splice could knock out two ceiling fans in separate rooms?

Old 07-13-20, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.... so then the problem is one with original working. You need to determine how the fans are powered off that circuit. If there are switches..... the neutral will be spliced. I see a red wire in your picture. That probably means power comes in at the switch and is sent to the fan on a three wire cable.

You'll need to check the neutral splices in both fan switch boxes.

There is no miracle cure. It takes some good Sherlock Holmes detective work.
As an electrician we know how wiring is typically done. We know all circuits start at the panel. Usually the wiring forms a path from the panel to the last device. If you know all devices on a circuit.... you can usually determine where the problem is. It will be between the last working device and the closest non working device.

You were typing as I was. Yes.... an open neutral will affect everything after it.

Old 07-13-20, 12:57 PM
Z
There are no wall switches that power either fan. The fans are turned on with a remote. Therefore, both red wires are capped.

There are only two not working devices, the ceiling fans. All the other devices on that circuit, lights, plugs and light switches are working.

So, one loose neutral wire can knock out two ceiling fans? It would be strange to have two wires come loose.

Old 07-13-20, 01:36 PM
Group Moderator
There are no wall switches that power either fan. The fans are turned on with a remote. Therefore, both red wires are capped
Yes.... the red wires are capped but they are there as switch legs. If there are no switches then there is a junction box you need to find. In the picture we can see a single three wire cable.

Is the wiring in the other fan the same ?

Old 07-13-20, 01:45 PM
Z
I don't think there is a junction box. I think wiring was run from an outlet to the ceiling mounting box in the photo. Only one 14/3 cable comes into the ceiling mounting box, so I think it's a home run from an outlet. Yes, both fans are wired the same.

Old 07-13-20, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
So each fan is wired from it's own receptacle or does it pick up power from one receptacle and share it in two rooms ?
Can we assume that the receptacles in the bedroom are not switched ?

Old 07-13-20, 02:13 PM
Z
As I see only one cable going into the mounting box, I don't see how the fans are sharing power with any other devices, including another fan. So, since the only place for the fans to get power is from an outlet. There is only one switch in each bedroom and they control only the lights. Therefore all outlets are not switched.

Old 07-13-20, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Then the problem should be fairly easy to find.
If the three wire cable goes from a receptacle to the fan in each room..... then that's where you need to check. I'm not sure why three wire cable was used. That makes no sense at all.

Old 07-14-20, 06:56 AM
Z
I agree. On the circuit there are two Panasonic FV-08VRE1 fan/lights that are controlled with 2 switches each, one for the light, one for the fan, so maybe they had some left over cable.
A hunt'in I will go.