Replacing ceiling fluorescent fixture

Old 07-15-20, 08:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling fluorescent fixture

I am replacing an old ceiling fluorescent fixture. It is a standard 4 foot long with 2 four foot tube bulbs. I am replacing with new version from same manufacturer. It is virtually identical except for new components. The one difference is the knock out holes for the wires to pass thru. On the existing one there are several and since the wires from the ceiling were not centered they passed the wiring thru the knockout hole ten inches off from the center. The wires come in there and connections are made in the channel in the fixture. The new one only has a knock out in the middle. Due to the ceiling AC vent I canít move the new one over to center it on the wires. So how should I pass the wires into this fixture? Can I drill a hole in the metal top of the fixture in effect making my own knockout hole for the wires in the right place? The channel cover goes all the way across so the connections would be covered exactly as in the old one. Thank you.

Old 07-15-20, 08:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,218 Upvotes on 1,980 Posts
Easier would be to simply install line powered LED bulbs in the old fixture and not swap to a new fixture.

Old 07-15-20, 09:06 AM
J
Received 518 Upvotes on 423 Posts
Drill a hole in the correct place for you.

Old 07-15-20, 09:50 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, I agree with Pilot Dane , then you need to move the fixture, if you do decide to drill the hole it should be 7/8Ē to accommodate the connect.
Geo

Old 07-15-20, 11:16 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. It is greatly appreciated and very helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: