Question about light switch

Old 07-31-20, 10:47 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about light switch

I reside in the state of nevada. I recently replaced my ceiling fan. I now need to replace the old switch. I cannot figure what I need to use. Can i just replace with a single pole toggle light switch ?? Iíve attached photos of my old switch, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-20, 03:21 AM
J
Received 212 Votes on 188 Posts
That is a fan speed and light dimmer switch(two switches) combined into one unit. If you want the same controllability then you need a similar unit.

Old 08-01-20, 04:30 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I donít need the same controllability, the fan is now on a remote. I just want a regular switch. Can I use a single pole light switch ?

Old 08-01-20, 06:21 AM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, you should be able to install a single pole switch, you want light/ fan to be controlled by 1 switch​​​​​​, correct? it looks like the yellow is the feed for the switch, that black wire will go to 1 terminal on the new switch, the remaining red and black get a pigtail splice and connect to the other terminal on the new switch, if the new switch is lighted it may need a neutral connection which would connect to the group of neutrals in the box.
Geo

Old 08-01-20, 12:21 PM
J
Received 212 Votes on 188 Posts
What do you want the single pole switch to operate? I would expect the light on the fan.
It looks to me like that switch has black as power in and red and yellow as fan and light control(don't know which is which.
There appear to be three black wires lets call them black and black BB, black and red BR and black and yellow BY.
Connect BB and BR together with a pigtail and to the switch. Connect BY to the other switch screw. If the switch controls the fan instead of the light swap BR and BY.

Old 08-01-20, 01:12 PM
Received 57 Votes on 53 Posts
Hi, I may have been wrong on the connection, as Joed pointed out, Yellow and Red go to fan/ light, black is the feed to the switch, post a mdl # of that switch so that we can be sure.
Geo