Ceiling Fan Noise Diagnosis

Old 08-07-20, 10:44 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Noise Diagnosis

Been having trouble diagnosisng this ceiling fan noise. It sounds like it's coming from the inside the housing where the motor is and sounds like something rubbing against something else. Makes the same noise no matter which direction the fan is going. I've checked all the screws and connections and everything is tight and seems fine. Can these fans be lubricated? What can I do to fix this without removing the entire fan? Any help is appreciated. A video of the noise is linked below.

youtu.be/kDQ1uvzJpjE - Turn the volume up so you can hear the noise better

Old 08-07-20, 11:19 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I would bet on the fan rocking or wiggling. If you hold the light fixture while the fan runs, you might be able to feel it wobble or with a little pressure, it might event stop the noise. Based on the speed of the fan in your video, I am thinking it is not the motor. The noise is probably every 1/2 or 3/4 seconds which would be 90 to 120 rpm. That just feels a little slow for a ceiling fan on high speed but I don't know what setting you had the fan on. If it was motor, you would probably hear it spinning the fan by hand.

- Peter

Old 08-07-20, 11:29 AM
J
Ceiling fan is on low in the video. I have put pressure on the light and tried to adjust it to see if the noise stops, but it has not. I don't feel like it's a wobble.

Old 08-07-20, 09:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,899 Upvotes on 3,495 Posts
It certainly is rock solid and not moving. That only leaves a bearing.
A basic ceiling fan doesn't have bearings that can be lubricated or even gotten to easily.

Old 08-08-20, 06:24 AM
J
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the responses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: