Outdoor LED Flood Light

Old 08-27-20, 03:49 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor LED Flood Light

I had a new outdoor LED light with motion sensor installed to light up the side yard if anyone approached the house. It was a great light - very bright and worked very well.
But within the space of a few months it began to dim and become less bright, then I noticed some of the LEDs within it were failing. Now it barely lights up at all.

LEDs are ment to last for years, so I was wondering could it have resulted from some kind of water damage - or leakage from rain??

Any ideas? I'm no electrician.

Old 08-27-20, 04:46 AM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
Hi, LEDís do a nice job, but they do not live up to their expectations often times, remove the lamp and get a replacement, what type of bulb do you have ? Mfg.
Geo

Old 08-27-20, 07:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
Just like compact fluorescent lights the advertized lifespans are highly optimistic and LED's are no different. I think quality has a lot to do with how long a light lasts. A inexpensive light bulb of any type often has a shorter life than a quality (more expensive) one.

Old 08-27-20, 08:42 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Many LED lamps are made using 100s of individual LED. The individual LEDs are connected by printed circuit board traces (printed wire) in some series/parallel fashion based on type of power supply. If a printed wire opens or a individual LED in a series connection fails, the LED lamp light output is reduced. If the power supply fails, there is no light output. Many lamps have an internal power supply so a failed LED lamp can occur with all individual LEDs and printed wire in an operable condition. The consumer still calls it a failed LED.

Old 08-27-20, 10:14 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Votes on 176 Posts
There's a race to be the cheapest (in a lot of industries, not just light fixtures). Unfortunately, that means using cheaper components with cheaper connections and less expensive manufacturing processes.

Paying a bit more for a new fixture might be a good solution, but it's getting harder to find quality manufacturers.

If it were me, I'd just pick a different brand and install it. Most should last a handful of years without a problem. I'd even consider contacting the manufacturer, they might replace it for free - especially with online reviews being so important these days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: