Stubborn LED light fixture

Old 09-12-20, 12:04 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stubborn LED light fixture

2 years ago I swapped a 4 bulb florescent fixture in my kitchen with an equivalent LED fixture. It consist of two strips of LEDs. Worked great for a year then one strip quit lighting. A quick off/on of the switch usually brought it back. That strip eventually stopped working altogether. Now the second strip is doing the same thing. A quick off/on of the switch only gets a flash but if you leave the switch on for 30 minutes or so a quick off/on lights the strip and occassionally both strips turn on!
This is an expensive fixture and removing and replacing the cover is an involved process so I would like to know what I am getting into before I start any major surgery

Old 09-12-20, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,614 Votes on 1,486 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This is an expensive fixture and removing and replacing the cover is an involved process so I would like to know what I am getting into before I start any major surgery
What are your plans...... replace the strips ?
We can't help you much with the internals without knowing or seeing what you have.

Old 09-12-20, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 320 Posts
This is an expensive fixture
Likely it is a faulty driver(s) Typically good LED fixtures come with a better than 1 year warrenty. I would recomend contacting where you bought it or the manufacturer for a replacement.

Old 09-14-20, 05:13 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Out of warranty

I checked and the fixture is out of warranty. Doing some research however this appears to be typical symptoms of bad drivers. They should be fairly easy to replace once the fixture is disassembled. Next problem is figuring out which drivers which means disassembling the fixture and waiting for the new drivers to arrive.

Old 09-14-20, 08:05 PM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
This is one reason I'm leery about these integrated LED fixtures being the best choice, particularly for residential. They should be highly reliable, but if they do fail, they are a nuisance to repair. I'd agree it probably needs a new driver, or maybe the strips themselves are faulty. If it's an exposed solder joint that's bad, it might be an easy fix, but otherwise it'll need some new components. LED bulbs/tubes are simpler. If the fixture housing was fluorescent-based, maybe it'd even be possible to fit it with fluorescent sockets and LED tubes, though the LED units don't always have the necessary brackets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: