Help with solar lamppost

Old 09-13-20, 12:25 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with solar lamppost

I'm aware I'm probably not providing enough info to get help, but I'll try, and add-on as needed.

Last year, my wife picked up a solar lamppost at a second-hand store. It was fully assembled, and had all mounting hardware in what appeared to be the original bag, but had no instructions.

Of course, I figured it's a no-brainer. There was, however, a bit of confusion when I realized there was a 3-position switch with no markings.

I put it outside last year, and all I remember was after a few days/nights of trial and error, I came to the conclusion that it worked. My wife, however, didn't know where to put it, and since it was October, we put it in the shed until this year.

All of a sudden, I'm very confused. At first, I thought the light wasn't working. Then I realized what's happening... it's working in reverse.

Yes! If you cover the solar panels, the light goes OFF. When you take your hand away and expose it to the light, the lamp turns ON.

So, in other words, I imagine once the sun came up, the light came on and was burning any juice the panels were soaking up. Therefore, at night, there was no power.

I realized this when I turned the switch to the first position (I deduced OFF), and then when I flicked it on later at night, it came on for a brief second, then shut off, however when I flicked it on during the day, it stayed lit.

Any ideas, or things I can test? I'm imagining that it can't be reversed wires. The panels and battery are connected by a plug, so there's no way to reverse the polarity. Besides, even if there was, the panels wouldn't charge the battery, and the battery wouldn't power the light.

Any thoughts would be a bit help. Like maybe what do the two ON positions do on the lamp?

Thanks!

Old 09-13-20, 01:35 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Find the battery. It may be corroded and not charging.

Old 09-13-20, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
I agree. a charged battery is required to run the electronics.
Most of those lights use Nicad or NiMH type batteries.

Old 09-13-20, 07:17 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, this looks like a battery pack of possibly 3 C or Sub-C shrink-wrapped with a plug. I guess I will have to make my own, and solder it myself.

I was going to try a new battery pack, but didn't want to waste the time and money to order it, and find out that wasn't the issue.

Old 09-13-20, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,884 Upvotes on 3,481 Posts
Give the current pack a day to charge.
Check it with a voltmeter. If it shows 0 or low voltage.... it's bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: