Hanging a pendant light


  #1  
Old 09-17-20, 05:27 PM
L
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Hanging a pendant light

I am replacing a kitchen light. I wired it like the one I took down. Exactly. The breaker is turned off but while struggling to get the 2nd wire down there was a flash of electricity as if the something blew. Not in my hand but it blew. So I got it wired and it will not work. Is there something else I can do besides checking the wiring?
I came here before I did anything. It's a normal wiring in the ceiling and the light is just normal wires. Well that's not true. The wires are exactly the same but they had a black sleeve on one side. So I took that they were trying to tell me something and I wired it accordingly.

Lainie
 
  #2  
Old 09-17-20, 05:40 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,121
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Is this an older home ?
The wiring may be older cloth covered and what happens is that the insulation crumbles off.
Sometimes a sleeve of shrink tubing is used to reinsulate the wire.
The insulation can crumble off where the cable enters the box and actually short to the box.

A picture would help........ How-to-insert-pictures.
 
  #3  
Old 09-18-20, 05:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 27,789
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
If there was a flash while you had the breaker turned off are you absolutely certain you had the correct breaker? If you look at your breaker panel did a breaker trip?

I have occasionally seen a older house wired with two circuits in the same box. I also check any wires with a multi meter before touching them even if the breaker is off. I've been bit too many times by houses with improper wiring so have to be careful.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: