Touch dimmer lights turning on by themselves

Old 10-03-20, 05:02 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Touch dimmer lights turning on by themselves

I installed touch dimmer lights under my kitchen cabinets many years ago. Often when I came downstairs in the morning, some of the lights would be on. Today I installed a 3 speed wall switch to control the ceiling fan in my master bath. Now, every time I turn the fan on with the wall switch, the under cabinet lights turn on. I'm guessing they are on the same circuit, but using the fan switch cause them to turn on? If that is a common issue for touch dimmers, what's the resolution, having a dedicated circuit?

Update: I did more testing. None of the kitchen cabinet lights are on the same circuit as the ceiling fan. Yet changing the speed of the fan causes various cabinet lights to come on/off. Since this has been a problem before I installed the wall switch, I guess using the pull chain on the fan was causing the problem previously. I can't understand how using the fan switch would cause lights to turn on that are on a completely different circuit. I wonder if a variable dimmer switch on the fan would fix the issue? Any other ideas?? Also! I had forgotten this till my wife reminded me. We have a desk fluorescent light in the kitchen with a wall switch. Using that wall switch also sometimes causes the cabinet lights to come on! It might be on the same circuit as the cabinet lights, not sure.

This is the type of under cabinet lighting I have:
https://www.totaltransformers.com/dm...4aAlCPEALw_wcB

Last edited by hcliffe; 10-03-20 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-04-20, 04:15 AM
Received 726 Upvotes on 642 Posts
Equipment of this nature can easily be affected by other electronics or other electrical appliances.

Old 10-04-20, 09:03 AM
B
Received 304 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Device has a 200 watt load limit. What is your load in watts? How did you control the bathroom fan speed and on/off before installing 3 speed wall switch? Does the fan operate with the breaker for the under cabinet lights open? Does the under cabinet lights operate with the breaker for the bathroom fan open?

Old 10-04-20, 10:22 AM
H
Good questions Beelzebob, here are the answers:

1. Each light is 20 watts, I have a max of 5 lights on each controller.
2. I controlled the bathroom fan with its pull chain prior to installing the wall switch. Now the pull chain is set to high.
3. Yes, the fan operates with the breaker for the cabinet lights open.
4. Yes, the under cabinet lights operate with the breaker for the fan open.

Device has a 200 watt load limit. What is your load in watts? How did you control the bathroom fan speed and on/off before installing 3 speed wall switch? Does the fan operate with the breaker for the under cabinet lights open? Does the under cabinet lights operate with the breaker for the bathroom fan open?

Old 10-04-20, 11:28 AM
H
Some of my answers to the latest questions were not quite 100% accurate.
I have 3 sets of under cabinet lights. One set is on the same circuit as the fan, and therefore do not come on when the fan breaker is open. The other 2 sets do come on when the fan breaker is open. But when everything is turned on, and I operate the fan switch, it turns on some lights from all 3 set of cabinet lights! Even ones that are on a different circuit.

To troubleshoot further, I unplugged the cabinet light controller that was on the same circuit as the fan. I plugged it into an outlet that is on a different circuit. In this configuration, using the fan switch does not turn on any of the cabinet lights. So... my solution may be to see if I can find a different circuit to power the one set of cabinet lights.

Old 10-07-20, 04:35 PM
B
Received 304 Upvotes on 269 Posts
You may have found a workaround. The light controller converts a touch to an electrical signal to increase/decrease light output. Other electronics in the house, like the fan motor, are causing the controller to generate the electrical signals without a touch involved. You might contract the manufacturer but my guess is the touch to electrical technology is proprietary so help will be limited.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: