Remote Low Voltage Transformers?

Old 10-19-20, 10:49 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remote Low Voltage Transformers?

I'm planning out a 800 sq-ft room that will have at least 8 12V MR16 LED lamps (10w each). I'm looking to put 2 of them on one dimmer and the other 6 on another. I've done this before in my house using magnetic transformers and i guess i'll need a 75W and a 40W (for expansion) to power those 2 lighting groups.

But man those things are big and expensive and it pains me to pay $100 for the 40W transformer to power 2 lights! I always thought that i needed magnetic transformers because the runs are more than a few feet. Looking at one of the WAC electronic transformers the specs show runs on 12g wire well over 20 feet. I could also get the mounting based with an integral transformer and run line 120v to each spotlight.

At the end of the day this is probably a 10% difference in project cost so its more a question of - does it matter? Is there any benefit or difference between running 120V to each fixture, a remote electronic transformer, or a remote magnetic transformer?

Old 10-19-20, 02:33 PM
D
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Low voltage come with its own set of rules. I would start buy investigating the transformer products.
All manufactures have recommended specs on their products. Today you might want to look at electronic ballasts.
A lot has to do with the LV wire / gauge / and distance.

A quick search
https://www.totaltransformers.com/ge...ttage--60.html

Old 10-19-20, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
There is no need to use actual transformers.
LED drivers are more cost effective and will work just as well.

Old 10-19-20, 03:06 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks Drangd for that link to the transformer site - very helpful!

PJMax - that is what i was wondering - what is the downside to the LED drivers? As long as i can place them in an accessible spot and make sure i'm within the driver spec for power and wire length is there any reason not to use a LED driver?

I double checked the SORAA LEDs i'm planning to use and they will work with 12VDC. I don't think the fixtures matter at all and i'll just match the dimmer to the driver. Besides reduced wire length and less years to replacement - any dimming or lighting performance difference between a LED driver and a transformer (electronic or magnetic)?

Old 10-19-20, 04:52 PM
A
Received 271 Upvotes on 247 Posts
As a general rule, the wires actually carryng low voltage should be as short as possible.i

If you are able and wiling to do the voltage drop calculations (math) you can find the optimum position for a transformer taking into account number of fixtures served by each transformer and therefore the total number of transformers needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: