patio lights fuse

Old 11-06-20, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
patio lights fuse

I have a 100' string of patio lights strung across my yard and the little 5A fuse has blown. I've blown fuses before but always when changing a bulb, so I know which bulb blew the fuse. This time it just blew when I turned the lights on from the power strip. The string attaches to the house at a height I can reach on a stepstool, then it runs across my sloping yard ending at a height of 20-25 feet that I can't reach at all.

Any idea how I can figure out what blew the fuse (or any other tips)?

Old 11-07-20, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 876 Votes on 806 Posts
I would take the light string down so you have it at ground level for debugging. Remove all the lights then plug the cord in and see if it blows the fuse. If it does then there is a short in the cord somewhere and you might need to replace it. If the cord alone doesn't blow the fuse then start putting the bulbs in one at a time. Then if the fuse blows when you install a light you know which bulb or socket is the culprit.

Old 11-07-20, 06:41 AM
That's precisely the action I'm trying to avoid. if I were to resign myself to the idea that it has to come down, I'd replace it with an LED string.

I once had a Honda Civic that kept blowing a fuse so I wrapped the fuse in aluminum foil. Eventually there was a little fire inside the passenger door, so I had found the short. The fuse never blew again.

Old 11-07-20, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,484 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Since you can't take it down I'd recommending replacing it with an LED string.
Putting foil on a fuse is a recipe for disaster and I have seen many tragic results from it.

Old 11-09-20, 11:13 AM
Putting foil on a fuse is a recipe for disaster and I have seen many tragic results from it.
even if plugged into a power strip/surge arrestor?

Old 11-09-20, 02:33 PM
Received 36 Votes on 34 Posts
Yes because those lights use 20-22 AWG and that small of a wire can melt before the 15A circuit breaker in the power strip trips or even the 15A - 20A one in the actual panel.

If you can find a smaller fuse or breaker say 3-5A you can try to use that but I would advise against it.

While I dislike the LED everything that has to do with lighting today this is a good use I actually like LED "fairy" lights and patio style lights.

LEDs are also good for emergency light along with flashlights and of course their original use as being indicator lamps but they need to stay away from "real" lighting as street, parking lots & security lighting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: