Does This Save Money?

Old 11-14-20, 07:53 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Does This Save Money?

My elderly neighbor has a string of lights on her patio. She's convinced that because she has partially unscrewed every other bulb on the string, she will save money on her electric bill.

I'm thinking that an electric current is running through there whether the bulb is lit up or not, so her power bill would be unaffected by what she's done, and I really don't think that string of lights would make a big deal where her power bill is concerned if she screws them all back in.

Any expert thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-14-20, 07:58 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Yes, she will consume less power, since power only flows through the bulbs that are screwed in. This will save a small amount of money.
Andy

Old 11-14-20, 08:03 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So......If I have a lamp plugged in, but no bulb in the lamp, do I need to be concerned that if I put my finger in the socket, I could be shocked?

Old 11-14-20, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,900 Upvotes on 1,706 Posts
I would be concerned if you thought putting your finger in the socket was a good idea, yes. Electricity is present, but its not going to ground until you touch it. Just like an outlet. Power is there... so don't stick a fork in it. Outlets don't use power if nothing is plugged into them consuming the power. Light sockets don't consume power if there is no light bulb in them. (This does not include "phantom" load, which is a given even when items are switched off.).

A string of lights uses the sum total of all the wattage of all the installed bulbs.

Old 11-14-20, 11:39 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
If those lights are older style there might be some savings if replaced by the energy efficient LED lamps. She would need a new string and I'm not sure how long it would be before she saved enough to pay for that.

To your question, "X" covered that.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: