General LED dimmer questions

Old 11-16-20, 12:58 PM
C
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
General LED dimmer questions

I installed some canless recessed LED fixtures and want to get a compatible dimmer where I'll use existing wiring between switch and lights. I'm also looking to install canless recessed LEDs in another room where I will have attic/ceiling access and where there is no existing light fixture so I can wire however I want since I'll have to cut drywall and fish wire no matter which setup I go with.

Looking at some of the LED dimmers that are listed as compatible for the lights I already installed, and it seems many do not require a neutral wire, which of course is convenient for existing setups where only the hot leg was run down to the old switch.

1. But if you did have a neutral available at the old switch location, what does that get you in terms of LED dimmer/features over what's available for situations where only a hot leg is available?

2. And some dimmers use an additional 2 (low voltage) wires. What does this get you in terms of LED dimmer/features over what's available for situations where only hot and neutral are available and you don't want to fish low voltage wires between switch and lights?

Old 11-16-20, 02:09 PM
B
Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts
I would only use dimmers listed by the LED lamp manufacturer, not the other way around since you already have the LED lamps. For the other lighting, only you know what you want for the final result so do the research first and then buy the products and required wiring and DIY.

Old 11-16-20, 02:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,163 Likes on 2,842 Posts
Dimmers don't require a neutral.
Wifi dimmers may require a neutral.
The dimmers with the 0-10v control are for connecting directly to ballasts/drivers with the 0-10v input.

I use the Lutron Maestro Ma/Cl almost everywhere and have no problems.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-16-20, 02:49 PM
C
Thanks PJ, that clears up much of the confusion and lets me wade thru the huge array of options with more direction.

So the neutral is for smart/wifi dimmers. For the LED lights I already have installed, while I have a neutral at the switch location, I really don't need ability to control lights via mobile device or via voice. And since it looks like these run ~$50 vs ~$20-25 for regular LED dimmers, I'll go with the cheaper option.

So the 0-10v control dimmers are only for lights that require them - and those dimmers are pricey! What is the benefit of ELV LED lights vs regular LED lights?

Old 11-16-20, 03:53 PM
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
the 0-10V also requires more wires to be run as that is for dimming only not power on/off control.

So they are usually used in new construction where the wall are open any way so the additional wiring can be ran easy.

Yes the 0-10V controls are pricey I made my own with a standard 50K OHM potentometer for a dimmable fluorescent ballast I have. The standard wattage ones (0.50W) is fine as their is not much current on that line.

Old 11-16-20, 04:13 PM
C
the 0-10V also requires more wires to be run as that is for dimming only not power on/off control.

So they are usually used in new construction where the wall are open any way so the additional wiring can be ran easy.
Right, and in the case of the new LED ceiling lights I'll be installing, I'll have to run romex anyway, so it wouldn't be significantly more work to include low voltage wiring.

My question is what is the point of LED lighting that uses low voltage wiring for the dimming function? There are lots of dimmable LED light options that only require 120V wire. So the low voltage versions must have some benefit that makes the extra wire and work worthwhile in some applications.

Old 11-16-20, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 627 Likes on 536 Posts
My question is what is the point of LED lighting that uses low voltage wiring for the dimming function?
With 0-10 volt dimming, you could dim 100 lights without causing an overload on the dimmer because the dimming is done by the fixture, not the switch. You can also automate the dimming control. As you may have figured out, 0-10v dimming is mostly used in commercial applications.

Old 11-16-20, 09:41 PM
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts
I have seen wire that also includes an extra pair of wires for the 0-10V dimming function but I have only seen metal clad cable (AKA type MC) I have not seen any NM (AKA Romex brand) type yet as NM is not allowed in most commercial spaces and 0-10V is mostly used in commercial building lighting management and other type of automated commercial based systems

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: