Bathroom fan (no attic)

Old 11-24-20, 07:12 PM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Bathroom fan (no attic)

I would like to replace my bathroom fan with light fixture to try and get one a bit less noisy. Are there any that can really be installed without climbing in my attic? I saw some being sold but reviewers stated they still had to climb up there. I don't think I can get up there to maneuver to replace it. It gets tight with too many cross beams. I'll either get stuck or fall through the ceiling with my luck. Thanks.

Old 11-24-20, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
The first thing you need to do is to remove the escutcheon plate so that you can see the inside metal box. If you can see screws or nails.... you can replace it from the bathroom easily.

If it's installed with bars that go across the joists..... they'll need to be cut with a Sawzall.
It's more difficult to replace a fan with solid metal duct than it is with flex.

Old 11-24-20, 11:26 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I feel your pain. Locating a friendly handyman and adopting him can make life a lot easier. There are many who are trustworthy and skilled and work at a reasonable rate, and maybe skinny enough to get into those tight attic spaces.

Jobs that can take you hours can sometimes be done in 30 minutes by the right handy person with the right tools.

Bud

Old 11-25-20, 03:27 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
What brand is the existing fan/light? You may be able to find another from the same manufacturer that will fit the existing box in the ceiling.
Andy

Old 11-25-20, 06:13 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 157 Votes on 139 Posts
Definitely doable. It all depends on how easy or hard it will be to get the existing fan out. It may pop out pretty easily, or might need some drywall cut out. The next step is a new fan, which is either big enough to cover the hole, or a bit of drywall work to patch the too-big hole.

Just make sure the vent to the outside is in reasonable condition when you take the old fan out. You don't want all that humid air venting into the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: