GFI tripping

Old 11-30-20, 09:22 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFI tripping

I have an electrical plug in the garage that trips my GFI (located inside the home) after a few minutes of use (using a shop vac). There are multiple plugs on this GFI but only this one plug trips the GFI. I have changed plugs, so I know it is not the plug itself. This plug is the last plug on the electrical line. This line is original to the house and just started tripping this summer. Any ideas on why this plug trips the GFI?

Old 11-30-20, 09:30 AM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Making sure we understand:
If you plug shop vac into another outlet, on the GFCI circuit, it will not trip?
The shop vac does have a three prong connector on it.
The outlet in question and the one prior to it in the circuit, was properly wired; black wire to gold screw, white wire to silver screw and ground to green screw.

Old 11-30-20, 09:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
So using the same shop vac for the same amount of time on an upstream receptacle does not trip the GFCI?

Old 11-30-20, 01:28 PM
C
All correct, I can use the shop vac on the other garage plugs without a problem.

Old 12-04-20, 09:59 AM
C
Just wanted to follow up on this thread as I did find the problem. I went up in the attic, above the garage, and located an electrical box that had the wiring going to the plug that was tripping the GFI. When I opened up the box, I saw that one of the black lead wires had come loose from the connector that is was tied into. I was partially on the connector but also touching the metal box and causing the short. So, put a new connector on, taped it up with electrical tape and it appears to be working.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: