Ceiling box question

Old 12-19-20, 01:14 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling box question

Hi all, I bought a couple of 4ft LED lights for my laundry room (open ceiling) and had a question about what box to use.

I bought a couple of 4" octagonal boxes with brackets, but the mounting screws (as is typical) are diagonal across the box. The lights I bought have holes 3-1/2" apart which match the screws on the box, but using these would mean mounting the light 45° off kilter. I don't know what the slots are for...

I want to mount the lights perpendicular to the joists.

Here's a photo:

What am I missing? What box should I use?

Thanks.

Top Answer

12-19-20, 03:03 PM
Zorfdt
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 414 Upvotes on 368 Posts
With a fixture like that, and an open ceiling, I would just run the NM cable directly into the fixture through the knockout hole and using romex clamps. Then just screw the fixture to the joists for support. Make all the connections in the fixture itself.

Old 12-19-20, 03:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 414 Upvotes on 368 Posts
With a fixture like that, and an open ceiling, I would just run the NM cable directly into the fixture through the knockout hole and using romex clamps. Then just screw the fixture to the joists for support. Make all the connections in the fixture itself.

joed, PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 12-20-20, 12:29 PM
P
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I'd agree, though if you want to make sure everything is up to code, check the instructions to see if that kind of installation is acceptable. It used to be that all lights of this style permitted the splices within the fixture itself. You'd bring the cable into the fixture, make your wire connections, install the channel cover, and affix the lens. Some of these cheap new fixtures did away with the channel cover so if you don't make your connections in a box, you'll have wire nuts that are exposed if you simply removed the diffuser, which isn't ideal from a safety standpoint.You also have the option to drill additional mounting holes in the fixture. I'm not sure if doing so would void the warranty or UL listing, however.

Old 12-20-20, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
If it has a knockout..... it's designed to have splices within. Typically fluorescent fixture are installed end to end so that you could wire thru each one for incoming power.

If they aren't being installed end to end.... use a double duplex connector and bring the NM cable in and out of the same location.

Old 12-21-20, 02:15 PM
P
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
@Pjmax, in general, I'd agree. Most of the time it's perfectly acceptable to make splices within the fixture. I merely note that there are some residential-grade fixtures without channels that indicate in the instructions that the connections be made in a box. OPs fixture may or may not not be one of those. We can't see from the picture. Here are snippets of wiring instructions from a couple of those type of fixtures on homedepot.com.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: