Installing Bathroom Fixture - Question about Mounting

Old 12-28-20, 12:47 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Bathroom Fixture - Question about Mounting

I purchased a new bathroom light fixture, and I had to use a pan box. The mounting location ended up being directly over a stud. I haven't installed too many light fixtures, and I have a few questions.

1. This particular fixture has two wirenut pigtails. I'm not sure why they just didn't use longer wires. My understanding is that these need to sit in the pancake box and not the canopy portion. Will this cause an issue with box fill? Am I allowed to remove the pigtails and eliminate those wirenuts, or will that impact UL listing?

2. When I screw in the mounting bracket for the fixture, it is pushing against the NM cable that enters the pancake box. Is this a concern? It was really the only knockout that I could use.

I've posted pictures below. Note - I didn't connect any grounding wires yet, but I know that the pan box and mount both have to be grounded.

Old 12-28-20, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,980 Upvotes on 3,572 Posts
With a pancake box...... it and the canopy are the same area.
You may be able to stuff the wirenuts under the fixture bar but it's not required.

The cable under the fixture bar is fine.
You would have had a tiny bit more room if you turned the grommet around.

You can remove the wirenuts on the white and black wires.

Old 12-28-20, 02:41 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJ! Stupid question...By grommet, are you referring to the black connector for the NM cable? The one that came with the box had a marking “this end inside box.” Thanks again for your help.

Old 12-28-20, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,980 Upvotes on 3,572 Posts
Yes.... the black connector where the cable comes in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: