A15 LED bulb with dusk to dawn built-in ?

Old 01-02-21, 05:44 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
A15 LED bulb with dusk to dawn built-in ?

I am in a tight spot (literally) and am trying to find a light bulb that conforms to A15 size but also has a built-in dusk to dawn sensor. It seems like all LED bulbs with built-in dusk to dawn sensors are minimum A19 size. I've searched pretty thoroughly for this and come up empty handed. But I figure I'd throw it out here in case anyone knows of such a product, or has any other idea for getting an A15 size bulb to have dusk to dawn functionality without extending the "height" footprint of the bulb...

Old 01-02-21, 05:59 PM
C
Thought of this almost immediately after posting! Took an ultra sharp utility knife carefully around the rim of one of my A19 dusk to dawn LED bulbs to make this happen. I think this may be a good idea since the LED's don't really need to be in a sealed environment- and they will be in a diffusing dome fixture anyway... See any downsides to doing this?

Old 01-02-21, 06:14 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I would be concerned of the bare wires/terminals and a potential shock hazard. The input to the capacitor is 120v, so I wouldn't want someone to accidentally touch it.

Otherwise the cover is just used for diffusing the light.

Old 01-02-21, 06:44 PM
C
I agree- It might be worth cutting the top third hemisphere off the original cover to glue back down to avoid potential touching of the circuit board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: